Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(which probably breaks at 30+ lbs), or what good is 15 lb PP that'll prolly break at 20+lbs, when spooled on a stradic 2500, that at BEST, can produce up to 15 lbs of drag pressure? Am I missing something here?

I use 10 lb PP (diameter equivalent of 2lb mono), and 30lb Ande mono leader for abrasion resistance and ease of handling fish at boatside. Anyone know where 10lb PP will break? I believe 10lb Fireline (diameter=4lb mono) breaks at just over 20lbs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always thought you set your drag 1/3 of the line strength to account for surges which can apply a lot more pressure; so by your guestimate of drag pressure you could easily afford to use the 30 lb power pro. and up to 45 if they made it.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I like to use 20 or 30 lb braid on my spinning reels.It gives a good margin of error if the line gets nicked.At CBBT - it will help pull fish out from the pilings where lighter test line might break.Plus nice to have heavier line if a beast comes along.You can cup the spool and really put the brakes on a big fish if it heads into the pilings.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a quick search and saw that a stradic 2500 max drag pressure is 15lb. Oh, one more thing, would you want to use 20lb PP on you're typical LTJ rods that are usually rated up to 20lbs.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
15 pound is less likely to wrap around the rod tip in the wind. Otherwise, 20 is okay for fishing the heavy cover as in bass fishing or maybe in the moss on the flats where big fish are likely to tangle up and break off. I mostly use 10 too, Phill but 30 pound leader this time of year.

I keep hoping someone will encourage their kid to do a science project about actual breaking strengths. That's an A waiting to happen with a willing audience!

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
:D - I've been known to bust a few rods - one corner of my garage is a rod cemetery :pp.Heavy drags/big fish and braid - something has to give :eek:.

You'll find all sorts of line tests used by different fishermen for various reasons.Might not be the proper set up to you but it works for them.Use what you feel comfortable with and how it fits your type fishing.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
OK Phil...I have a science project for you...
I have been using #10 PP for about 5 years now and have never had a fish break the braid....OK project over........:helpsmilie:
Talked to John "Apache" Pearce last nite...think he is going to CBBT for 5 days over Xmas holiday........:thumbup:
Next Wed looks like a go...if you want to go........ :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Phil...I have a science project for you...
I have been using #10 PP for about 5 years now and have never had a fish break the braid....OK project over........: :D
Thats ed-zachary where I was going! I'd rather not sacrifice the benefits of using the smallest diameter line possible, allowing for the use of the lightest jigheads possible, for a line with a breaking strength that is beyond the equipment you're using.

A Wed suicide run may be in order...I'll be in touch Jamie. "Apache"....:D You guys are tough!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Phill, The change to 10 lb is the single best thing I ever did, and I learned that from you! I have never had a breakoff on the line. I fished 10 lb Fireline 99% of the time at the CBBT. That said, during the catch and release time at the CBBT (all over 30), and for big blues, I step up to 20 PP and 4000 series reels. Just insurance, but I grant you that 10 LB will outfish 20 LB any day, the 10 LB just gets down and tends to stay there in the current. Oh bye the way, I have been practicing tackle minimalization, it takes some ZEN though. I have been out twice with just a small tupperware deck box!!

Hello my name is Kevin and I am a degenerate fisherman with a tackle addiction!:eek2:

(the group) Hello Kevin.::rolleyes:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,707 Posts
(Quote by Whalen) Hey Phill, The change to 10 lb is the single best thing I ever did, and I learned that from you! I have never had a breakoff on the line. I fished 10 lb Fireline 99% of the time at the CBBT. That said, during the catch and release time at the CBBT (all over 30), and for big blues, I step up to 20 PP and 4000 series reels. Just insurance, but I grant you that 10 LB will outfish 20 LB any day, the 10 LB just gets down and tends to stay there in the current. Oh bye the way, I have been practicing tackle minimalization, it takes some ZEN though. I have been out twice with just a small tupperware deck box!!

Yeah!!!
But he dosn't say how much is down in my galley:clapping2::clapping2::clapping2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts