Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding outboard motors use to be fun. :wacko: I guess getting old does change you're out look of some things. I finally got mind down to the bare block and am going to order parts tomorrow as well as hone the cylinders. But dam I remember having more fun doing this 5 years ago then I am right now. It maybe because I'm more interested in getting it done before the big blues get here. You think?:helpsmilie: :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
These things run in cycles. (2 cycles... :)

My woodshop lies dormant for months at a time, and then suddenly, I'll be in there every evening for a couple of weeks.

There's still good satisfaction that comes from doing these things yourself, and knowing they are done properly.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea Chris you're right about that. That's also why I decided to do it now instead of being 30 miles off shore and have her blow up and then rebuild it. I will feel much better after it is done knowing every working part in it will be put there by me.:rolleyes: I am learning a lot more about this motor. OMC's were build so much alike over the years. That I could all most take one a part and put it back together blind folded. But they did throw me a curve on this motor. They bolted the steering arm to the block now and they also changed the rod connector screws from a 3/8 12-point heads to a 5/16 12-point head. You ever try to find a 3/8's drive 5/16 12-point socket?:eek: Unless you catch up with the Snap-On guy you won't find one. I had to go to Sears and get a ¼ inch drive one. I only hope it will hold up when I go to torque them back down. That little adapter may twist off under the load. But I did do something smart. I bough two of them Just in case.:D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Just curious, as I have never opened up a two stroke. How many hours on the motor and how do the cylinder walls look?

I remember tearing down the 302 from my '73 Bronco years ago. You could not even catch your fingernail on the cylinder walls where the rings finished their upward stroke. After 150,000 miles.

I ended up replacing a couple of small parts and leaving the rest of the block alone.

A testimony for good oil and frequent oil changes....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Walt -
there's the diff. between mechanical guys like you and Pax, and those like me who are not - the last engine I want to be 30 miles out with is one rebuilt by me!
I get piece of mind by having it done by a pro. Besides, at this point in my life, it's my duty to help keep the economy moving by paying others to work. (that's vs. paying people to not work!)
DF

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Chris I don't know how many hours are on this motor. It came with the boat. My guess by looking at the cylinder walls would be around 500 to 700 hours. But by the amount of carbon on the pistons I would say closer to 500. The guy didn't us good oil. My guess is he used the cheapest he could get by the looks of it. The cylinder walls aren't bad though. When I miked them they came with in spec. Which are 3.5990 to 3.6000 inches. I measured them at three angles to make shore there was no egging going on. All I have to do is hone them and replace the seals and rings. So it won't be too bad. I should be able to get it back up to 125 psi instead of the 90 it now has. The rings did need replacing. There was no cross hatching on the walls and they were like a mirror.

DF when I feel like rebuilding one, its fun to get my hand dirty. I just didn't feel like doing it now. I have all ways been one of those people that likes to take things apart to see how they work. The problem with that can be some times getting them back together. I use to help a friend rebuild them. He showed me how and I just stayed around to help after that. I guess we did around 200 motors over those years. I learned a lot from him. He is the best machinic I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts