Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just as a lot of people have been mentioning, I have not been out much this year, this fall consisted of 2 crabbing trips.
I had a tough time getting my motor started in my driveway due to drained batteries, so I decided to jump it with my car and it starts like a champ, sounded a bit funny at first, then it sounded like it cleared it's throat and all 4 cylinders were purring. I decided to let run a while to charge the battery. I go to the basement and start rigging rods and rounding up my jigging sticks and gear. After about 45 minutes I head up to load the boat and get everything ready and this is what I see.
doesn't look good.
I hope it is just a prop seal, but I am interested in what people think, Is my motor history or is it a easy fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Older 2 stroke? Could be just unburned oil in the fuel. Not a good idea to idle a motor on muffs for long periods of time. Newer 4 stroke? Yea, you got problems. Either way, first thing you need to do is check the condition of the lower unit oil.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well the exhaust does discharge through the prop and 2 strokes don't burn very clean idling. Add cold temps and running on a hose into the mix, and what I see is a possibility. gotta drain that lower unit oil to be sure. If it's clean, you should be good to go. You need to make sure the lower unit oil is good to go before winter anyway. If you leave water contaminated oil in your lower unit over winter, there's a chance in will bust the housing.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Tough to tell by photos.

What does the gunk in hub feel and smell like ? Watch edge of cotter pin when putting finger in there.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know exhaust goes out with some burnt oil through the prop, but this looks like this milky grease. I have not smelled it. The engine was purring like a kitten the way it should when I went out to shut it off. I wonder if the seal to the prop broke and leak lower unit lube into the exhaust? I never did put it in gear, just idle for a while.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Since it is on trailer and easy to get to - pull the prop.

Clean everything up real good - look for fishing line in the prop seal. Then drain lower unit - see what comes out.

I pull my props 1-2 times a year. Have found fishing line a couple times - luckily before it got into seal.

Good idea to drain / fill lower unit in fall - before freezing temps. set in. If any water is found - you prevent damage from freezing.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
One thing I can tell You,Never leave the Engine running like that unattended..If those Muffs fall off,a Hose blows a hole it it,Someone turns the Water off,You will be looking at a pile of Molten Metal! As for the **** coming out......I bought a 88 Starcraft many years ago ,it had been sitting and was Winterized..It was an Estate sale...Got it Home and had it running for awhile on the Hose...Had **** like that coming out of the Prop hub..NOT near as much!! Called my Mercury Buddy,He told me it was probably from the Stuff they winterized it with...Oil,Gas and Winterizing Chemicals that they had used. I ran it ,It cleared out and I never had a problem again....With Yours though,I think I would be checking a bit deeper into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts