Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the doom and gloom about the rockfish there was a lot of talk about folks targeting snakeheads and blue cats. There were hardly any fishing reports for them in 2021. Were they keeping it a secret? Or was the striper bite good enough to keep them from chasing them?

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
I posted several blue cat reports in 2021. I just put my boat in the barn this morning to avoid a pile of snow. I'll be back on them hard in March.Never targeted snakes......... Gary

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know we can count on you and Steve Fogle for cats. I was referring to others.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I targeted blue cats more than anything else in 2021 but I didn't post much in the way of reports. I'll try to do better in 2022.

·
Registered
214 Posts
With all of the doom and gloom about the rockfish there was a lot of talk about folks targeting snakeheads and blue cats. There were hardly any fishing reports for them in 2021. Were they keeping it a secret? Or was the striper bite good enough to keep them from chasing them?
They are all on FB, YT, and the fish apps.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i would never give fish reports on the internet u think i want thousands fishing my spots one on one no problem. go find them like I do .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not start this thread to get any info as to where to go to catch them I was not attempting to pry any secrets from anyone. I was just curios as to whether anyone changed fishing habits and started targeting cats and snakes. A simple “I did” would suffice.
As info Green Valley Food Markets advertised blue cat for $6.95 a lb. last week.
Crabby was nice enough to Take me on the Potomac to fish for them. He is the resident expert on them. He caught a bunch . I think I caught one. They are good to eat.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
I went after Blue Cats off Magothy river in April since Rock was closed. In early May rather than try for 1 or 2 big Rock in the trophy season - I stayed on the Cats. Rock was slow for most - the Cats were biting very well for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First time out in 2021 was in April/May and got 30 pounds in the boat from five blue cats around the mouth of the Magothy -- didn't get any the rest of the year. Averaged a channel cat per trip out after that usually around the mouth of the Patapsco.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
If we have a wet Spring, the blue cats and others will expand their territory into the bay but as soon as the salinity rises in June or July, they will retreat into fresher waters in the tribitaries. There have been catches at PLO trolling in the Spring........ Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, Don't want spot burning, What tackle , rods and reels would you use from shore of Jetties. Lenght, lure weight, ect. This could be a new way for me durring the down time for surf fishing. thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok, Don't want spot burning, What tackle , rods and reels would you use from shore of Jetties. Lenght, lure weight, ect. This could be a new way for me durring the down time for surf fishing. thanks.
From shore I use a 10' Okuma Rockaway spinning rod rated up to 4oz Penn Conflict 2 reel spooled with 40lbs PowerPro. I didn't buy it with catfishing in mind but it works. For rigs I use Santee rigs exclusively. I think it helps to not have the bait resting in the mud. I fish the Susky from Conowingo to Havre de Grace for cats and use homemade slinky drifting sinkers because of all the rocks to snag on. Bait is chicken breast or cut fish like perch, bluegill, or gizzard shad.

The image below gives you an idea of a Santee rig. I use 8/0 inline circles with the bent eye and snell them to a 50lbs mono leader. I find snelling a bent eye circle hook improves my hookset ratio
Slope Font Diagram Circle Science

1 - 16 of 16 Posts