Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As way of preamble: A commercial fisherman had pulled up to my boat a couple of months back in Mobjack bay. As he was pulling up I thought he might have mistaken me for someone who'd messed with his pots. Turned out he had these peelers he couldn't use and asked if I wanted them. Nice fellow. I froze them since we couldn't use them that day.

I left Lynnhaven around 07:30 and drifted past the 1st two islands of CBBT with a cut up peeler I had in the freezer. Only brought in two small stripers but they were my first in the bay so I pleased, even though they went back. I started the engine to move and noticed it was running rough so I shut it down and raised it up to find wire line and seaweed wrapped round the prop. Being alone I didn't wan to risk reaching too far out and falling in the drink so I limped back to the dock. Luckily most of it had come off and the rest came off easily with no apparent damage to prop or lower end. Back I went.

I tried the peelers again with little luck, but the chatter on the radio said there was some success at the 3rd and 4th islands so I started in that direction but thought I'd troll an umbrella rig on the way and bam I hit a nice fish, my first on an umbrella rig. I learned it's a challenge to pull in the 80 lb mono leader by hand and ready the net at the same time when you're alone, but in the net it came. I had nice striper that turned out in the slot (32") so back he went. Unhappy as I was to do it, but such are the rules and being new to the bay I didn't want to start out with bad habits. The fish had hit the trailer on the rig and was easy enough to get off the hook, but the rest of the hooks were a pain in the arse to untangle from the net. But after 15 minutes or so back they went. As I approached the tube between the N & S islands, BAM another fish.

Here's where I learned another (EXPENSIVE) lesson. The drag was too tight on the reel and as I put the engine in neutral the rod holder on the rail turned down from the pull of the fish so I only caught a glimpse of the handle as my rod and reel slid out into the bay. I made a few frantic and futile passes with a weight and hook trying to snag it, but no luck. So I learned the rod holders, just tighten to the rail do not match up well with what I think would have been an over the slot fish. They will need to be replaced with something more sturdy. If you're fishing that area and haul up a practically new Penn 330 GT reel with new 80 lb red Power Pro line on a 6' roller rod, please let me know or at least give it a good home&#8230;..<grin>

Anyway by this time I was pissed and tired since I'd worked all day Saturday, so back to the dock I went where I gave the fellow working the parking lot on a golf cart the remaining peelers, hoping someone else could put them to use. I wasn't sure if they'd hold up to refreezing. By the way, my wife still doesn't believe there are fish in the bay since I came home with an empty fish box again, not to mention an empty space for a rig.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Very Good First Go!!

Jack,

Nice job for the first time at the CBBT. Don't worry about the lost rod & reel. We have all done something like that, but none of us will ever admit it! :D:D:D

Tight Lines,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Thank you for the report, been there done that. Maybe you will get lucky and Toneydivefish will find it.
Yea but yours was a hot summer day at the tower and we were diving when Tony found yours lost combo !

Way to pay those dues Mr Stubby ! Nice report~

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thanks for the story Stub. Don't worry the fish will come. But you'll need the rods and reels to catch them:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the wife should go and see for her self, nice report just the same.
The chances of getting my wife on the boat with the outside temperature below 80 degrees are equal or lower in probablility to someone finding my rig and returning it to me, with the fish still on.......

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
trolling years ago all alone watched in horror as my ugly stik & 6500 baitrunner slapped the gunnel ( drag too tight ) & the polycarbonate rod holder ( never use these ) snapped like a twig. rod shot off like a missle into the bay. called my wife about it & ended up w/ the phone going in the water. bad day. if you can get that fish to hold still i'll get you rod!

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Stubby - Sorry to hear about your troubles... rest assured, we've ALL had similar days. Congrats on the fish you DID catch!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trolling years ago all alone watched in horror as my ugly stik & 6500 baitrunner slapped the gunnel ( drag too tight ) & the polycarbonate rod holder ( never use these ) snapped like a twig. rod shot off like a missle into the bay. called my wife about it & ended up w/ the phone going in the water. bad day. if you can get that fish to hold still i'll get you rod!
It was a polycarbonate rod holder and last week, while having new Power Pro line put on my now submerged reel, I looked at something more sturdy, an all metal single piece device that looked more durable. However the bracket it came with also looked like it could turn on the rail and be pulled down. I wonder if after attaching it if drilling a hole through the braket and rail, then puttin in a bolt would prevent that. Anyone ever do that? I'd like to have rod holders built into the gunnel (?), but alas this boat does not have them.

G

·
What a lame excuse to go out wanting to buy a new setup just before Black Firday. Hmmm..sounds a little fishy to me. Me, I'm a real man - I just go out and buy a new pole and reel and just hide it on the boat.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What a lame excuse to go out wanting to buy a new setup just before Black Firday. Hmmm..sounds a little fishy to me. Me, I'm a real man - I just go out and buy a new pole and reel and just hide it on the boat.
This time of year I could hide a mistress on the boat and my wife would never find her.

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Drill and tap......

Though I haven't done it, that would be my suggestion. If the rail is alum. I think youd be better off drilling the cap/ bracket and into the rail ( not all the way thru both sides) with a #7 bit and tapping it out 1/4-20 . Put a dab of locktite on a ss pan head screw and tighten up. If you don't have a # 7 bit ( not many do ) just find a bit that will fit thru a 1/4-20 nut, and use it. If you mess it up, just drill thru both sides and use a bolt and nut.
You could also go smaller, say 10/32, using the correct tools, just make sure the bolt/screw is stainless.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
never mind what you lost YEARS ago.......tell about the stupid $h*t you did YESTERDAY.....
Missing oil cap on the motor, lost transducer for the Garmin...skunked at the concrete ships....loose any anchors or just friends.......Dennis hates you......:eek2:......you hurt his feelings.....no amount of beer can fix this jocko

ex SPERT that .....

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Congrats on catching some fish.... sorry to hear about your rod and reel but like others have said we all have done it a time or 2 live and learn...Brandon

·
Registered
88 Posts
At least you caught some fish. I can help mount SS rod holders in the gunwale. You can buy the pretty check at Salty Dog in OV. I recommend having your lower unit checked after wrapping wire around it. Damage to the shaft seal will not be evident! Look at your lower unit oil for emulsified lube! If it is you’ve got a problem that will only get worse and a lot more expinsive!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Bungie Cords??

Flounderman 06,

Bungie cords on your fishing rods could really hurt if the rod comes flying back in your direction. Even if it's just the end of the bungie cord coming back, that could hurt. Ouch!!!

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
631 Posts
Never looked at it that way. lol. Maybe i'll make something different, remember the saying "your gonna put your eye out"

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Tough break but congrats on the fish. I had a Taco holder snap off my hard top a while back and put a 330 in the bay too. That was around Gwynns Island. The fish gods where nice to me the rest of that Rockfish season so maybe your dues are paid up for this year!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts