Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda ties into the poll but have to wonder - what do most consider a good day ?

Is it getting a fish trolling before more then 2-3 lines are out ?
A fish after 3-4 hours trolling ?

Finding fish in 30 feet of water from Thomas Point to Cove Point or finding a pocket of fish after searching 20 miles of water ?

Guess there is no way to set a standard.

In spring of 2009 kill season - it was very common to get at least 2-3 fish while putting out the trolling lures. Most days ended by noon with 15 to 25 big Rock released. I fished 3-4 times each week for about three weeks. My dad invited an older friend of his and bragged about the great fishing.

Well , you guessed it - one of those oddball days. We did get 4 fish but pulled out a lot of tricks to do it. On the drive home - my dad and I both apologized for such a slow day.

My dad's friend saw it 180* different. He thought it was a great day fishing and really found it hard to believe it got any better.

I do remember thinking how wild the fishing was from about 2002 to 2009.
Guess it was too good to last - perhaps 2010 will be better.

No matter what - fishing still beats working any day.

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
When I fish, I just like to be able to catch a meal or two. Catch and release right in the grease! If I do better than that it's a bonus. Same with crabbing.....don't need a bushel, just a meal or two......Gary

·
Registered
843 Posts
Good fishing for me trolling is at least 2 fish over 33 inches. I mainly troll the Lower Potomac. That being said, my best day was 7 stripers 36"-43" about 4 years ago. One of many trips to Tangier Sound/Janes Island State Park area we caught over a 100 stripers one day throwing small jigs in shallow waters catching mostly non keeper size but had the most fun and I consider that a great day.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well said Skip. My one day on the water with you this summer was my best outing of the year..... you said it was slow and the quality of fish wasn't great. Obviously our past experiences are much different. A good day for me is one or two in the box. If a couple are released it's a bonus. If I get skunked on Rock, but catch a meal bottom fishing that's cool too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I'm fairly new and really just started going fishing this year. For me catching anything legal was a good day for me. After a few trips out and catching a fish each time out (most times) I've shifted to a good day being catching two or more fish. Hell the best day on my boat this season was a pair of rockfish (one being legal) a spanish mack, and a few bluefish. I guess it depends on perspective and how long you've been fishing. You can kind of say I'm spoiled only in the fact that it doesn't take many fish to keep me happy. If I had been around in years past maybe I would be bummed from this season but for me its been great just to catch a fish or two

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Guess I"m spoiled, and all fishing is enjoyable, but "good" fishing, the kind we come back for....plenty of BIG Rockfish.

Skip, remember a few years ago off Solomons or PLO when you, Mlag, Greg and I enjoyed oysters on chocolate donuts? That's good fishing:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Trolling: Fifteen or more with a few going over 40".
Spring/Winter jiggin: 50 or so total with a few over 30" and hopefully one over 40"
Summer jigging: 100 or so fish with a few dozen keepers mixed in.
Livelining: 2 fish every ten minutes or so.

When I was hook and lining I remember being pissed if we didn't catch at least 1000 pounds in a day. My, how times have changed.

Good fishing is also subjective. Any good weather day my dad and I get out on the water nowadays is a "good" day. I have taken a fwe kids fishing and it's totally different. Just the experience of bouncing in a boat and chasing fish is awesome to them. To me, it's just burning gas.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
With the money invested over the years. I would think that the better I got the more fish I would catch. Well somedays the fish do "WIN" per say. However, I look at fishing at at totally different perspective, I guess. Heading out of Herrington Harbour South with the sunrising over Poplar Island on a early April cool morning is the best with flat water and good friends. Spending time showing your friends how and why rockfish do what they do. Drinking a few beers with your buddies telling the stories of years gone past about " Remember that one time down off 82 and C&R when we caught 13 fish and there was only 2 of us and 11 of the 13 where over 40 with 2 @ 47-48 inches.:bigfish::rockingreport:. Guys and Gals its all about getting together with your friends and spending a few hours on the bay together, "IF YOU CATCHA FISH ITS A BONUS" Thats always been my motto and it will never change

Tight lines too all.

Phil (lily)

·
Registered
952 Posts
There are 2 different questions being answered here.... One is, what do you consider a good day fishing? The other is, What do you consider good catching?

I can have a great time on the water with friends and only catch a few fish....so that is a good day fishing but, I don't consider that a good day catching.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
There are 2 different questions being answered here.... One is, what do you consider a good day fishing? The other is, What do you consider good catching?

I can have a great time on the water with friends and only catch a few fish....so that is a good day fishing but, I don't consider that a good day catching.
Agreed - when i put the boat back on the trailer and say to myself "damn that was good fishing"........that is totally different than piling on the boat with some buddies, catching a few fish, watching the bikini contest at red eyes, and when we get back home saying "man that was great".

Any day spent on the water is "great" for me but bottom line - summer 2010 i got much more enjoyment out of crabbing than i did fishing........at least in the UB.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Lily hit it on the head for a good day fishing " with the sunrising over Poplar Island on a early April cool morning is the best with flat water and good friends. Spending time showing your friends how and why rockfish do what they do".
A good day catching is having a light tackle rod in your hand and catching Blue,s Rock, and Spanish Macs during a feeding frenzy with "Boiling water and Gannets diving". IMHO.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I must be in the wrong sport or something. I'm the type of fisherman that the fewer the fish I catch, the more miserable I am, regardless of how much I enjoy getting out. I can go boating anytime but if there's a rod on the boat, there better be a fish on the end of it. I've called up people all ticked off after having a modest day of fishing. It's only a good day if I catch one more fish.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,759 Posts
Not just a Good day, but a GREAT day.

Putting my boat in the water.
Climbing aboard, usually with friends or clients.
Firing the motors up.
Watching the sunrise.
Smelling menhaden.
Watching the birds work the water.
Locating active fish.
Trying new lures or flies.
Cursing between locations and enjoying Mother Nature.
Taking pictures or videos on the water.

Teaching young anglers how to put a worm on the hook.
Teaching young anglers how to open the bail to get the sinker on the bottom.
Watching them to wait for the fish to strike (sometime this is a challenge).
And the best is yet to come….
Enjoying the young anglers smile when hooking a fish.
This is young anglers’ of all ages.

Try to remember—‘catching fish is a bonus’.

And now I’m ready for a GREAT day on the Chesapeake Bay.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts