Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up some molds and doing some pouring. It's impossible to get the flat bank sinkers that are good for bottom fishing in the ocean in this area. I saw a mold on Ebay that did 8,10,12 ounce flat banks for about 30$. So is as easy as it looks?

·
Registered
970 Posts
1) get lead ( wheel weights, ignots, scrap,ect., more pure the better)
2) Think safety ( outdoor job, might want a filter, gloves, pot holders)
3) get lead melted this can be done in a pot over a fire, hot plate, or they make special lead pots I would go with this method
4) get mold hot ( blow torch/ pour a few and let them sit in the mold for a bit to warm up
5) helps to ahve a buddy hold the mold while you place the hooks.

It is easy and very fast once set up. Longest part is getting the materials then waiting for the lead to melt. Make sure lead is hot. Slag will form at the top. Scrape this off and don't breath in the fumes. Search the forum and you will find lots of info

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Russ - It's really easy... and will save some $$.

Make sure the mold is hot, or the cavity won't fill all the way. If you're pouring a lot of weights, it pays to use a BIG melting pot and a ladel... the little hand-held electric lead pots just don't hold enough and you spend a lot of time waiting for the next batch to get hot (and your mold cools while you wait!).

If you've got some "un-pure" lead, scoop the "slag" off the top before pouring. Some folks shave bee's wax into the pot to help the slag come together. It may be worth the money to buy lead from a scrap yard (~$0.30/pound) versus going through all the trouble cleaning tire weights/etc. Purify as much as you can while you're working... the lead that's not poured into sinkers is made into "ingots" for future use.

-POUR LEAD OUTSIDE!
-DON'T GET WATER IN THE HOT LEAD (a drop of sweat off your brow on a hot day can have TERRIBLE results)!
-MOLD HANDLES GET HOT (a pair of leather gloves is the deal).
-Save your coffee cans, fill'em with water and drop the newly poured weights in the water to cool... drain off the water, and they're already stored.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Where can I get a big pot to melt the lead in? If I'm gonna do it I'm gonna make ALOT at once. Do any stores carry supplies or equipment?

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Russ - see if there's an Army/Navy Surplus store in your area... a cast iron "dutch oven" bottom is a GREAT pot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Most plumbing supply houses will carry lead melting pots and ladles, a propane burner from your crab steamer or turkey fryer will suffice to melt the lead. DON'T BREATHE THE FUMES!!!!!
Rich

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I used to cast a lot of bullets, a pastime that I've dropped while living in the People's Republic of Maryland.

When I was casting, I used an old plumber's furnace and a Lyman cast iron pot to melt the scrap lead, scrape off the slag, and pour into 1 lb bars (another Lyman tool). I have about 200 lbs of bars right now. The bars then go into a Lee electric pot for the actual casting. As was stated above, the electric pot would only be good for small cavity molds...maybe up to 3 oz a cavity. The electric pot would work great for jig heads, but probably have to be refilled too often for large sinkers.

If I was doing large sinkers, I'd use the plumber's furnace, or a Coleman gas stove and a cast iron pot with a pair of vice grips attached as a handle.

Wear safety glasses, gloves, and long-sleeve shirts and pants (not shorts)!!!! Molten metal can pop/snap just like a wood fire, and it is easy to get tiny blisters where the molten lead hits the skin. If one of those little droplets hits your eye, you may as well start wearing a patch and learn to talk like a pirate. I believe there are openings for pirates at some of the summer festivals in So. VA and NC. :)

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it would just be worht buying the sinkers off ebay. I cant get about 45 lbs. of sinkers for 35$ shipped. I'm not sure I'm gonna use enough to make it worth it unless I sold a few.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was at a meeting Mon night (PSG) and the speaker was a lure maker and the thing he kept saying was no water in the hot lead pot, it will be a disaster. He said it will be like a volcano 9 1 drop of water) and spray hot lead for 20 feet.
Anyway, Tony Tochterman from Tochterman's Tackle in Baltimore was there and he said his store has all the supplies for making lures and weights.

Bob

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Herb's Tackle shop has everything you need to start,give Ele a call,if you are going to pour heavy weight you will need a good size pot at least 10lbs like this one...

Melting Pots

Lee Production Pot IV

Bottom pouring furnace holds 10lbs of lead. Four
inches of clearance under sprout. 500 Watts, 110
Volts AC. Adjustable heat control. Guaranteed by
Lee Precision for two years.

Part No. LPP-4 Price: $59.40

for sinkers old wheel weights are ok,but they are an lead alloy lots of scum on the top which should be removed after melting they are hardly worth the effort,the better the lead the better the product will be,and the less work it takes to produce,be safe make sure you pre-heat the mold and there is no dampness in the mold you don't want see what happens pouring hot lead into a damp/wet mold,scrap yards are a good source for lead,have plenty of air movement when melting DON'T breath the fumes,outside with a small fan blowing away from you over the pot is pretty safe,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I just ordered my cast iron pot from Mike at Northeastern Plumbing Supply, he was the only one I could find in this area.......$39.00, then of course after it was delivered, I stopped at the North Point Flea market, and The gent at Groundhog tackle showed me one in his catalog, for $29.00, but it was a smaller pot (6" diam. ), I think the one I have will hold about 40# of lead, and has a 8"diam.
Cabelas has the Lee pouring pot for $42.95 + s/h, but if I were to buy an electric on , I think I would buy the one from Bass-Pro that has a 20# capacity for larger sinkers, and the heat is 800-watt, vs the 500-watt for the 10# pot. The larger 20# version is only $79.00, but you will want to either order it from the catalog / online, they only get a few in at the Arundel Mills store, and they go quickly, especially this time of year.
b-mail me if you want to arrange to share some of my equipment, and I can tell you where to get the lead and mold, about a cheap as anywhere.......hint= Tochterman's,
and they Tom and Di were great to offer advice. I'd call and check on the mold, if it is in stock, or they will get it for you, they sell almost all of their molds for about $29.00, check there first, it will save you a lot of time, running around. They have my vote !

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Maybe it would just be worht buying the sinkers off ebay. I cant get about 45 lbs. of sinkers for 35$ shipped. I'm not sure I'm gonna use enough to make it worth it unless I sold a few.
You're absolutely correct. I use 4-8 oz. Pyramids while surf fishing and for the cost of the mold alone I could buy 5 or 6 years worth easy. Let alone if you have to buy everything else.
I've got a 40 lb. commercial pot and access to all the free sheet lead I could ever use and still can't justify it from a cost stand point

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mr. Seahunter,

I can use some lead for jig head making. Anyway that I can purchase some of that free lead off of you ??? I can use about 50-100 pounds or so.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Seahunter-nothing in our sport can be justified :D .Hell I send $$$$ to go catch fish woth $5.00 but you can't put a price on the fun.;) Skip

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Seahunter-nothing in our sport can be justified :D .Hell I send $$$$ to go catch fish woth $5.00 but you can't put a price on the fun.;) Skip
Skip..... You have to think like I do.
New Furuno DF for the Grady or a sinker mold? Two new IGFA blanks or a jig head mold? Two new Avets for the IGFA blanks when done or hair to tie bucktails?

See a pattern developing? :D :D

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Russ, Save yourself the time, trouble and expense of pouring lead. Most of all save your Health! It's nasty if you're not careful. Go to "brad and sons tackle" on Ebay. They have QUALITY products at great prices with very good shipping rates. I have used them on numerous occasions and always was pleased with them. Check em' out!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts