Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ! We went out on 8/30 and caught 4 blues (15"-20") near pointdickery point on spot fillets. I also had some fresh Alewifes with me but hey wasn't taking the Alewifes at all . Im planning to go again tomorrow and was wondering what is the best bait for them now as far as bottom fishing , I don't troll or anything as I have a cruiser boat . Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Fresh cut Spot is tough to beat.

You might want to try fishing some near the surface - drifted back. I like a 1/4 inch wide by 3-4 inch long piece - hooked once in front so rest flutters in current. It will look like a small minnow - close to what the Blues are feeding on near surface right now.

Chumming will increase your chances for Blues 10 fold - plus likely draw in Rockfish as well.

You can also try casting a small silver spoon once you hook a Blue on cut bait.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I was catching them on bare jigheads last Sunday. i think menhaden is an even better bait- oiler and fishier smell. Bluefish will also hit cut bluefish just as well. I guess use cut up dead spot once the spot is useless for live-lining.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Second the hopkins.Just put on a single hook or cut off at least one of the treble hooks.Its hard to get a treble out of their mouths and you loose a lot of fish trying to unhook them.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Blues will hit about anything, but its hard to beat chunks. A couple years ago in about October, Kate and I got a small flurry of 14 to 15 inchers on bloodworms. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts