Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case one of the local DNR officers stops us while we are paddling around in the creek or out in the Magothy, what safety gear do we need on board? We both wear life jackets but what else is needed?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
243 Posts
Any recommended brand names of flashlights? Maglite has always been a good brand, but there are lots of new designs out there now using diodes (LEDs) which last longer and use less battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok, when I started the old club a few years back I went to the CG headquarters in Portsmouth and talked to the Commander there about the required safety equipment. I was told that a PFD, and a whistle are required at all times. If paddling in the evening or at night, you must also have a beam of light. There was no requirement for having a CG approved light. We as a club TKAA highly recomment that you have a 360 degree light for night fishing, along with your PFD and whistle. Also a head lamp is a good thing to have. Anywhere you look there is a beam of light. So when are looking at that boat that has 3 or 4 beer drinking fisherman in it, they hopefully will see ya. Also remember to have your whistle in a place that is easy to get to and on a tether that is long enough to get it to your mouth.
As for nav lights, not a good idea. Why you say, well if you have nav lights on your yak, the PB guys will think you are a PB as well and thin you can move as fast as them. So if you only have white lights, they will think you are an anchored boat or a boat under manual power. Better to have them curious and to slow down to see what you are. I have had boats slow to look at my boat after seeing my white light.
One of the new things I am considering getting is the smallest air horn that they carry at Walmart or Super K. Not a bad Idea. But reguardless of what you use make sure you have fressh batteries and check your systems before you head out. Tight lines.

Darrell Hollifield
TKAA Vice-President
IKFA Member # 138

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks Naked Goby. I am back online. My rotations are going well. I am putting in a few hours more than I thought and am quite tired when I get home. I have not been a M-F kind of guy for four years. So it will take me a bit to get use to it and then more fishing for me. See you guys on the water soon.

Va_Yakfisherman

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question, If whistle are required why are the stores (Wild river, ARC) not telling the coustomers about this when they buy a kayak? They try to sell us PFD's when we buy a kayak but no mention of a whistle.

BTW, whistle and horn were the first items I bought from walmart after I bought my first kayak.

Robert

·
Registered
117 Posts
also a cell phone with the proper authorities on speed dial
ex: marine cops at lesner 427-5000. i can paddle fast but a hit and run by a jet ski, boat or some freak accident, they can motor to me or the poor soul that is with me much quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a further precaution, I recomend a marine band radio. It gives you the ability to call for help ie. another boater or the coast gaurd. Coastie regs require a boater to render aid unless their lives are in danger. Another reason to have the radio is to listen to the NOAA weather. The last reason is some of the TKAA are using ch. 72 to keep in touch on the water. It is always nice to know a like soul is only a PTT away.

Kevin

·
Registered
107 Posts
For me, it's PFD, whistle, lights at night, cell phone in an Otter box and VHF radio in a waterproof case. I also like to have my paddle, rod and tackle box. I've fogotten all of them at one time or another so I do the mental inventory before leaving the driveway.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I am pretty sure the CG approved light requirement is something new within the past two or three years. It used to be a that a flashlight was all that was required. Most of the ones at the store had double duty lenses. They acted as both a 360 degree light and a focused beam light.

I have not used them on my boat but the LED headlamps are pretty good for seeing close up, and they do show up at a distance. The only problem is that most are not very waterproof.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.