Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on the potomac today for a change of pace and I hooked and kept a nice blue cat. While cleaning it, I saw this in it's gut. Been messing with cat all my life and never seen this before. I think it's eel skeletons but not sure. I've never even cleaned a Rock with this in it before.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
That's way too much vertebrae for an eel (the whole thing would be bone), and the big one looks to have the remains of a decent-sized tail. Also, the "ribs" seem too long for an eel. Don't know what it is, but I don't think it's an eel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm currious also, I saw these in the last two catches of Rock. If there the same, they look like large milipeeds (sp).

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
"ribs" look more like "legs"..how about a sandworm? ...were they dead?

I would send to DNR..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm currious also, I saw these in the last two catches of Rock. If there the same, they look like large milipeeds (sp).
That's exactly what they looked like. It looked like to me that these three were individuals and not one large one broken up.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with mike on this one. I use sandeels for monster fluke and you find that exact skeleton in fluke when the sand eels are running.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with mike on this one. I use sandeels for monster fluke and you find that exact skeleton in fluke when the sand eels are running.
Ok, sounds good to me. The tale on the picture provided by mike has similar structure. If it is a sandeel, is it common for them to be up in the potomac? Maybe they are. I don't normally fish there this time of the year. Thanks everyone for all the input.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Ok, sounds good to me. The tale on the picture provided by mike has similar structure. If it is a sandeel, is it common for them to be up in the potomac? Maybe they are. I don't normally fish there this time of the year. Thanks everyone for all the input.
I really can't answer that but it sure wouldn't surprise me .

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Michael W. Rose;1245651[/QUOTE said:
Did you clean and cook that little rock taken out of the big one??:D

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
The problem with the sand eel theory is that he said he was catfishing in the Potomac....presumably up the Potomac a ways. Would sand eels be up the Potomac?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts