Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year around this time I find beautiful marks on the DF near the bottom in about 40-50 ft. Each year, I try to jig for them and come up empty. I tend to use heavy metal jigs, sometimes with a dropper fly. Do any of you care to spill the beans on a deepwater jigging rig that worls for you?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
thats a good question Jeff. Ive tried raising a few from the depths too, but never had any luck...

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
in 40' - 50' we always use a dropper fly rig.
metal lures in the 2 - 4 oz range, depending on current.
small flies if targeting fish above the BB and 4" - 5" flies if going after larger quarry below the BB.
colors...silvers and greens above the bridge (silver side and bay anchovies) and browns and blues below (menhaden, etc.)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Sometimes for the deep marks I use heavy metal jigs in the 2oz-3oz range. But if conditions are right and the drift not too fast my goto lure is 5"-8" soft plastics on a 1oz+ head. Even then, my success with those deep marks is very iffy, but always worth a try.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the tips. It sounds like I'm using the right equipment. I usually use a 4-5oz metal Crippled Herring knock-off (Ches. Bay lures, I think). The colors are either copper/silver or red/white.....maybe I need to try green/blue/silver. I use a white/green clouser fly about 12-14" above the jig. It sounds as those these deep fish are just tough to entice.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
..send a live eel down there on a 3' leader with a swivel and a sliding sinker above the swivel..:thumbup:

I know I know its LTJ cheating..;-)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Same thing as always. I may go to a heavier jig head if the current is rolling or it's real windy but never over 2 ounces. I start with 6 or 7" plastic and if they don't hit it I might try a metal jig. If they hit the small plastic and it's nice fish, I go to 10" BKDs but still not more than a 2 ounce head. If they're just single marks here and there, forget about jigging them, but if they're stacked, they'll usually bite.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I like a 2- 2 1/2 jig head with a 10" purple glitter BKD. Cast uptide and give it time to sink. You whant it to be on the bottom about the time it's verticle to you. The darker color is easier for the fish to see in less light. This is extremely effective jigging deep pilings at the CBBT.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
3-4 oz Mike B Trout Bomb with a dropper fly :D:D:D
I would... but I guess ole Mikey is too busy dancing the night away with Chris these days, because, I still havent received any trout bombs!!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I had them at the WAF Bull and Oyster roast :D And Chris is cuter then you :clap::D
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! But, Im younger!! Isnt that what men "your age" want? Younger?? Man, I wish I couldve been there! When you emailed me about what a great night it was, and how much fun you had, you never mentioned about your private dance party! Wonder why??? :D:D:D Oh geez... here we go- hijacking Jeffs thread- sorry bro!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Jeff,
If they aren't biting a sting silver or other metal jig with a dropper fly, they aren't going to bite.

A lot of the marks I see deep this time of year I have to guess are bait because I can't get them to bite. Also, earlier in the season, I was noticing consistent marks over in the Honga near the bottom. It turned out to be grass that was starting to die off and drift out to sea. If you're fishing close to a river mouth, especially on an outgoing, this is a good bet.

To determine if it's vegetation, I sometimes drag like a 12" length of a 4" diameter alum pipe capped at one end by a chain behind the boat. The pipe goes along the bottom and scrapes up a sample of whats down there. It also lets you know if the bottom is muddy, sandy, or rocky.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I agree with Francis 100%. If you are on active fish, they will hit a SS. The SS or Herring or whatever will be going nuts on the drop. They will whack & smack the lure like mad. Alot of times you will feel the lure get tail wacked & the hook will end up wrapped around the line.

Being able to keep the lure within a few degrees of vertical is key to feeling the bites. Using a drift sock helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts