Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite catfish bait?

I usually target lm bass or striped bass. The other day I was kayak fishing in Rocky Gorge Reservior casting senko worms for bass. I've heard Rocky Gorge is loaded with Carp, so I set up another rod with a tandem rig, one hook with corn and another with a doughball. I just casted it out back put it in the rodholder while I casted my other rod working the worm for bass.

I ended up catching a 5-lb cat on the doughball. I learned that fishing with a tandem rig can be a pain from a kayak and catching catfish can be fun! That was my first catfish and I still haven't caught a carp. I may go back and target the cat and/or carp again.

What is your catfish bait of choice? I fish from a kayak so I want to keep it simple just a single hook, no tandem rig or treble hooks.

Is the Powerbait Catfish bait, blood or liver any good? Will carp hit these baits too?

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
156 Posts

Catfish are fun. I really dont know what to tell ya to use for bait out of a kayak! Homemade dough balls are real good for carp, especially oatmeal balls. Just mix a little flower and water (not too much water)until the dough gets somewhat stiff, add a little sugar and your ready for some ROD BENDING action! Also works on smaller cats.

·
Registered
766 Posts

Hey Neil, being funny is not allowed on this board. Being funny and having a good time is only allowed to certain priviledged TF'ers. You will know when it's time. Until then - stop having fun, answer the damn questions and leave the jokes to the "really funny people". They know who they are.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

Live bait like minnows or bream work good. Or cut bait that is fresh. Something from the same water cut up or river shad. Frozen cut bait from the store will work but the fresher the better.

The prepared bait do work. Berkely squeeze or the tub stuff, it can be a pain to work with and washes off more than stays on, but it will catch fish.

Good luck, hope you catch one big enough to pull you around.

Dayton

·
Registered
6,708 Posts

Rod- i never fished there but if i were you, i'd catch some brim or other native fish and cut acording to size of the fish i expect to catch there. if they are channels, some of the prepared baits might work ok. i've never used them but i seen people use hot dogs as stated above. if it was me, i'd use half smokes instead. i like them better.[smile]

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Damn striperjoe32...i thought I was on foodnetwork.com instead of TF. Sounds good, I think I'm gonna make that for breakfast tomorrow (minus the 14/0 hook) [wink].

Just looking for something simple, I may try some dogs or the catfish powerbait next time out. I probably will cast it out in one direction and leave it out there while I'll try to catch some bluegill or crappie and if I catch one will cut it up and use it. This past monday I was targeting carp. The corn was a pain in the a$$ to put on so I grabbed a bagel (kayak fuel source) out of my cooler and made a doughball, put it on the hook and bamm my drag starts screaming. The cat pulled me around in the kayak for awhile, lots of fun!

Thanks everyone for the tips, I'll post a report next time I make it out on the water.

·
Registered
766 Posts

Best bait I ever used for carp was ....ready ? Wheaties and coke. Trust me, it's awesome and stays on the hook through about 3 or 4 cast. One box of cereal and about 8 oz. of coke make 1 "softball" (actual size is the size of a softball). Let it sit a while and then just pull off some chunks. From a small boat, it's easy to store and use. Good luck buddy !

·
Registered
23 Posts

biscuit and gravy seems to work fine also...from hardees and a little hot sauce for the big boys[grin][grin]

·
Registered
453 Posts

In freshwater - chicken livers are pretty good for the catfish. Carp.... hmmm, doughballs are good as is corn. If you really want to catch them chum out a bunch of corn for a few days. I use deer corn (feed corn). Soak it overnight and brought to a boil in a large pot. Can cover alot of ground with 5 , 10 , 20 gallons of it and it's not to bad on the pocket as well. You will need to know the basic hair rig for this application though. Check out my link and do a search for it on the site. Always looking for more carp fishermen in the area - give me a shout if your interested. This applies to all you catfishing knuckleheads too :) .

·
Registered
628 Posts

[Q]striperjoe32 originally wrote:
Best bait I ever used for carp was ....ready ? Wheaties and coke. Trust me, it's awesome and stays on the hook through about 3 or 4 cast.
[/Q]

For cats...any oily chunk bait or fermented feed corn on a slip sinker rig. Put the bait on a circle hook. I squeeze a ball of fish chow moistened with scalding water (I get this in 50lb sacks from the feed store) around the sinker and/or bait...this chum ball dissolves on the bottom and draws the cats like flies to sh*t.

Biggest carp bait at Conowingo catwalk RIP was shredded wheat cereal wet with strawberry soda. Talk about sticking power in that current...I still use shredded wheat to toughen up my dough baits...its that absorbant and sticky when wet. Goya brand strawberry is very good, strongly flavored/sweetened and appearing more in local stores. I met up with a fellow (Russian) at Carroll Island power plant that made cereal doughballs out of (very sweet) Richard's Wild Irish Rose Wine in winter and slayed the carp and cats.

For me, nothing beats anise doughbait and sweetcorn as a first choice.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

When I was kid we caught loads of Carp from the banks of the Appomatox usinf either nightcrawlers or yellow corn from a can.

As for catfish..my favorite biat is fresh White Perch. You get to fish for the baot and then fish for the fish[grin][grin][grin]

Them greasy 'ol mudshad ain't to bad either......I know........some of you still think they are Gizzard Shad...

DEAN

·
Registered
468 Posts

My wife and I caught this one on some awfully nasty shad that sat in a bucket for a day. Couldn't believe it.

27 pounder from the shore of Kerr Lake.
http://www.kerrlake.info/catchday/2005/large/060105.jpg

·
Registered
11,189 Posts

Peelers..I agree,pronounced "paylers" on the Eastern Shore

·
Registered
11,189 Posts

[Q]FishingRod originally wrote:
I usually target lm bass or striped bass. The other day I was kayak fishing in Rocky Gorge Reservior casting senko worms for bass. I've heard Rocky Gorge is loaded with Carp, so I set up another rod with a tandem rig, one hook with corn and another with a doughball. I just casted it out back put it in the rodholder while I casted my other rod working the worm for bass.

I ended up catching a 5-lb cat on the doughball. I learned that fishing with a tandem rig can be a pain from a kayak and catching catfish can be fun! That was my first catfish and I still haven't caught a carp. I may go back and target the cat and/or carp again.

What is your catfish bait of choice? I fish from a kayak so I want to keep it simple just a single hook, no tandem rig or treble hooks.

Is the Powerbait Catfish bait, blood or liver any good? Will carp hit these baits too?

Thanks,
Rod

[/Q]Have you captured any N.Pike or Walleyes in the Gorge?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks guys for the info. I still haven't had a chance to get back out there and target catfish and/or carp.

Tommy, I'm interested in learning more about carp fishing. Maybe we can meetup sometime and you can show me how to catch those giant goldfish.

Capt. Nick, I haven't caught any Pike or Walleyes from the Gorge. Most of my fishing lately has been in the inner harbor for stripers. But I hope to make a trip back to RG soon to see what's biting. I see someone caught a 36" striper there this past weekend.
http://p203.ezboard.com/ftigertipsfrm21.showMessage?topicID=204.topic

·
Registered
453 Posts

I never fished the gorge for carp - only fished it a couple of times for bass/panfish back in the 80's. I know it holds some good fish and I need to take my tail down there for some scouting. I think the bank fishing areas are limited though due to private property. If your up for fishing other areas of the 'tapsco then I'll be going in 2 weekends from now. We also are having a fish-in at Haines Pt in DC on the first weekend of November. Come on down fellas - bring the carp or catfish bait and gear :).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts