Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those that have a vegetable garden or raise tomato plants what is your favorite for eating raw, ie slices or on sandwiches etc. I have room for some more plants and with all the new ones out there I thought i might try something else. I usually grow hanover. beefsteak, cherry and roma. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Personally, any heir loom tomato works for me. Brandy wine does really well in this neck of the woods.

I favorite yellow tomatos for their lack of acid.

Just finished tilling the garden yesterday, and will be planting on Mothers day. I do 10 varities of tomato's, with three plants of each variety. The, the minis and pears come in first, followed by Early Girl, Better Boy, then the beef steaks and finally heirlooms.

In mid August I'm in hog heaven, mix two or three types together, fresh basil, ( try Purple ) little olive oil....Can't wait, and neither can the neighbors.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
I prefer the red, rosie camel toe variety of tomatoe - raw, nubile, and straight from the vine (without garnish)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Better Boy seems to produce more for me and tastes very good.

To those who have not tried them, I highly recommend Long Keeper as a tomato worth growing. I put the plants in the garden (I grow them from seed) in early June. I wait until the last day before a predicted frost and pick every one. Keep them in a cool, dark place, unwrapped. I ate my last 2005 Long Keeper on Jan. 15, 2006 and it was delicious.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I plant a regular garden but for some reason I can't grow tomatoes in my soil down here in SE VA. They grow to the point of setting fruit then one limb will wilt, then another and pretty soon the whole plant is wilted then it dies. I've tried all the VFFNNTT resistant varieties and still have the same results.

So I grow my tomatoes in containers with fresh potting soil each year and have good luck with Better Bush and Celebrity.

For a change of pace try Tumblin' Toms. They're perfect for hanging baskets and produce an abundance of grape sized tomatoes. I purchased the Tumblin' Tom seed from Parks Seed Co.

Dan

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Dan, try and lime the hole, before planting your maters. Scoop of lime , then plant. You should be surprised....

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Well my whiskey barrels are sitting on the deck waiting for the maters after Mother's Day. I'll be planting Early Girl, Better Boy, beef steaks, heirlooms, cherry and grape tomatoes.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone, I forgot I had a couple of Celebrity plants in the ground to try this year and have done better boys before, they are good. Where do you get the heirloom ones, I read about them last year but never have tried them. Coan Ranger the Long Keeper idea sounds great, I'll look for them. Maybe I'll plant a few after the breakfast radishes are done.
Pa Bred, as far as not growing in the ground, try what the Indians did, take fish carcasses and bury in the garden when/where not in use. I even put a fish in the hole when planting plants already germinated. last year was the first year trying this and my garden was awesome. I live in Powhatan in the red clay belt and the fish worked better than all the other stuff I tried, like horse manure, lime and bag fertilizer. It also keeps the trash cans from stinking of fish parts. Thanks agin all.
Barry

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
The OG-50 (hybrid tomato developed by Organic Gardening Magazine) is/was fantastic... beefy, no core, few seeds, lots of fruit. But since OGM went out of publication, I can't find it. The closest I've found is a Thompson Whopper.

The Better Boy and Beefsteak are both good, and produce well. I bought a "Beefy Boy" this year... we'll see how it does.

The Grape Tomatoes are always in the garden, as are a couple of Romas.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
My fathers been known to bury left over chum. They do sell fish oil also.

Heirlooms are at your better Garden stores. I canvas four stores for my forty plants.

If you have clay soil, Leaf Gro is the best. Expensive but works wonders.

I have a few farms near me, so I pick up aged cow manure. Avoid horse manure if you can.

Manure is a funny word.... I like ****** better....[grin]

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are any of these Garden Stores national chains or local only. The only choices I know of near me are Southern States, True Value Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot.

My soil is the best looking around since the fish were added and my plants last year were incredible. My sqaush and zuchini were like mutants, only thing not much different were the pepper plants but I think they would grow in concrete anyway.

Whats the problem with horse manure. Just curious.

·
Registered
773 Posts
[Q]

I have a few farms near me, so I pick up aged cow manure. Avoid horse manure if you can.

Manure is a funny word.... I like ****** better....[grin]
[/Q]

Why did you say to avoid horse manure?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
horse poo introduces quite a few undigested weeds seeds with the nutrition (like ECHO explained, the 3 cow stomaches take care of that).

·
Registered
773 Posts
[Q]hippie joe originally wrote:
horse poo introduces quite a few undigested weeds seeds with the nutrition (like ECHO explained, the 3 cow stomaches take care of that).
[/Q]

Not mine and it's produced on site

1 - 20 of 36 Posts