Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I would have thought you would be wondering "whats up" with the dog paw growing out of your left foot rather than a fish ID.

But hey, everybody is different.:D:clap::D

Looks like a Wrasse to me also.

Dennis:))

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I would have thought you would be wondering "whats up" with the dog paw growing out of your left foot rather than a fish ID.

But hey, everybody is different.:D:clap::D

Looks like a Wrasse to me also.

Dennis:))
LOL...thats funny Dennis...yep definitely a cunner.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
reminds me of a triple tail, but it's a Cunner. They can change colors to adapt to their surroundings. From what I've read, the record is 2lbs 9oz caught in NJ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely a cunner. Also called a bergall. Considered a nuisance fish and a bait stealer up North, although used to get pretty big on the offshore grounds when cod fishing...

A bergall or cunner or conner, Tautogolabrus adspersus, is a saltwater fish found in the western Atlantic. It is edible and its musky taste is considered a delicacy by some. Specimens may grow to 12 inches though most range from 4-10. Often bergalls are found mixed in with black fish (Tautog), living on or near the same structures. Much of the food eaten by those bergalls living among Black fish are the leftovers from the Black's prey. Cunners can be distinguished from the Tautog by their pointed snout. Cunners are generally smaller, so are usually thrown back by anglers who think they've caught a "short" Tautog. Cunners are pesky bait stealers, and anglers who target them use the smallest hooks possible. They are used as bait when fishing offshore, or filet for use inshore or as chum. They prefer to live near structures, such as sunken boulders. In past years, they have been important commercial fish, but now are considered pests. Cunners can be confused with Black Seabass and other Grouper, as well as Tautogs for their ability to change color.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It is absolutely a juvenile snowy grouper. :D Now where is Lou so he can come and argue that it's really a warsaw?:scratchchin3:

·
Registered
631 Posts
it's a bergall, in the tog family. also called blue perch and sea perch. i caught 1000's of them growing up in NJ.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Cool little fish. When I caught one I decided to throw it back, not wanting to bet on whether or not the man could distinguish it from an illegal tog.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
It is absolutely a juvenile snowy grouper. :D Now where is Lou so he can come and argue that it's really a warsaw?:scratchchin3:
:D

I only said cunner for the benefit of y'all taug confederates, in Brrooklyn, where we have blackfish that's a bergall.:yes:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yep its a Cunner, but up in Rhode Island when they catch one " its a bait stealin fuggin Cunnah". Ive caught three at the cbbt and they are good to eat. The post a couple back describes the taste well, kind of musky but mild like tog.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts