Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dodge 4x4 1500 with a 5.2 gas and currently pull my 24 offshore grady white walkaround with no problems. I would like to sell her and get a center console to fish the ocean city bays easier.Would a 4.6 engine do the job on a 22 -25 center console or should I stay with a larger engine. What about diesel.I only trailer it down the ocean one time in the beggining of summer and at the end. I have a slip all summer in oc. But I would pull the new center to the bay bridge a few times for rock early in the season. How about some input you guys are usually right on with your comments and I enjoy sifting thru the different opinions that everybody has because you have been there done that . Thanks for the input and tight lines all season.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
i have a 24 foot center console that i towed with an f-150 with a 4.6 liter engine from virginia beach to the delearship in york county through rush hour traffic.It did just fine with the exception of stopping fast when getting cutoff on the highway and then having the idiots brake. I have recently upgraded to an f-350 6 liter diesel and don't even feel the boat when i tow it. Funny thing is that the f-350 diesel gets way better gas mileage than the little truck. Go dielsel and you won't be dissappointed.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
towing with a diesel

I have a 2006 GMC with the Duramax and Allison tranny and get around 11 MPG towing 2 1/2 hrs from C'Ville to the Bay, that is if I stay around 65 MPH. If my foot gets heavier the milage drops. I'm towing about 6800# loaded. Beats my other trucks,not by much, but, Chevy gas - 7-8 MPG, and Ford 7.3 diesel 9-10 MPG. From C-Ville to the Bay there are a few hills that you can feel the torque of the Diesel pull em' without a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
MY F-350 diesel gets about 10mpg towing, city or highway. It gets about 13.5 city and 20 highway not towing. Readings are fron the trip computer. With the higher cost of diesel compared to gas lately, my fuel cost is not too different from the 5.4 F-150. The ride and towing ability is much improved though. With so many of the manufacturers trying to compete in this category, towing ability in 150 size trucks is to a point where most of them should be more than capable of transporting a 24 foot boat reliably. Even some of the foreign trucks have a little bit of backbone. Good Luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
I tow with a 1997 2500 Dodge 4x4, 5.9 engine, A/T trans, 4.10 gears. Awesome tow vehicle other than mileage. But, towing 6200 lbs. I can average 65-70 on 64 when trraffic allows. The only suggestion I have is if you haven't already, have someone GOOD rebuild your trans. Tell them what you are towing, how much LOADED weight is, how far you are trailering, etc. I did and couldn't be more happy. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
You would be doing yourself a terrible injustice if you dont check out the new Toyota Tundra that just hit the streets locally today!!! All new with 5.7 L. aluminum block v8 and total chassis redesign.I have driven and compared to all other trucks, power ,stopping,towing. no other 1500 is even in its class! Dont take my word, go to a dealer and ask them to prove why they are better .You will be plesantly suprised on a test drive how this thing handles. Doesnt cost a dime except youre time.Over 10.000 lbs tow capacity and 14" rotors all around, to stop her on a dime. In have a 2500 Cummins dodge and I see her going away in the near future. Toyota has always stood behind their products like a champ and they always have top resale values.Still have my old 1/2 ton small pickup as well ,she has 300.000 miles on her. NOTE: simply expressing my opinion and I have no intention of profiting in any way from my opinions. Best of luck on whatever you go with. capt Ken HOTSPOT SPORTFISHING OC. MD

·
Registered
564 Posts
Diesel is great, but unless you tow a whole lot, you will never get the extra cost back in fuel savings. When your tow load gets up in the 7-8K area, a 3/4 ton truck is nice to have. Try a Chev/GMC with the 6.0 Gas engine (standard engine) and 4.10 rear (also standard). In the tow/haul mode, you will be amazed how much better it is than your old 5.2 Dodge. Expect mileage towing to be in the 8 mpg area. Mileage without the trailer will be 12-15.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts