Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Rio Clouser Intermiate line (10 Wt) from WCO. Gave it a try today in the yard and it cast great. What test leader should I tie on for my upcoming trip to the flats. I was thinking about just five-six feet of straight 20lb flurocarbon? In addition, for my Teeny 450 sinking line should the leader be any different? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Since no one has replied yet, I will give you my take. On the floating line for big striper poppers and sliders I use a 5' leader with 30" of 40# FC, 12" of 30# and 18" of 20# or 25#. The stiff butt turns the popper over better, although on my longest casts the big popper lands in a heap of leader anyway. On shorter casts it turns pretty good.

For the sinking line 4' to 5' of straight 20# or 25# FC is all you need. If you are fishing deep you may want to go even shorter to keep the fly near the sinking line. Lefty had me catch a fish in the flats for one of his books with a short 15" leader to show it would work.

I really like the added strength of 25 # FC for handling fish around the boat. I use thumbs to land and there is no sense in using light leader for stripers unless you are seeking records.

Years ago I donated a flats trip for our TU banquet. The fishing was tough. Joe Cap had shown me a big Yellow and white fly tied with wool. One of the guys hooked the only big fish of the day on one of those flies. I went to leader it and land it and the fish shook his head at the boat and tore the leader. I asked the trout fisherman what pound test it was and he said 12#. I promptly "closed the barn door after the horse escaped" and changed him to 25#. We did not catch another big fish. All the big fish I catch in winter in much clearer water than we have in the flats is on 25# FC. A loop knot gives the fly plenty of freedom to move.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

Unless tossing poppers with an intermediate line, I treat it as a sinking line and use straight 25# FC.

I use a three turn blood knot, moisten, pull it very tight and clip flush with nail clippers. I have never had one of those let loose and they are pretty smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts