Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Rio Clouser Intermiate line (10 Wt) from WCO. Gave it a try today in the yard and it cast great. What test leader should I tie on for my upcoming trip to the flats. I was thinking about just five-six feet of straight 20lb flurocarbon? In addition, for my Teeny 450 sinking line should the leader be any different? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Since no one has replied yet, I will give you my take. On the floating line for big striper poppers and sliders I use a 5' leader with 30" of 40# FC, 12" of 30# and 18" of 20# or 25#. The stiff butt turns the popper over better, although on my longest casts the big popper lands in a heap of leader anyway. On shorter casts it turns pretty good.

For the sinking line 4' to 5' of straight 20# or 25# FC is all you need. If you are fishing deep you may want to go even shorter to keep the fly near the sinking line. Lefty had me catch a fish in the flats for one of his books with a short 15" leader to show it would work.

I really like the added strength of 25 # FC for handling fish around the boat. I use thumbs to land and there is no sense in using light leader for stripers unless you are seeking records.

Years ago I donated a flats trip for our TU banquet. The fishing was tough. Joe Cap had shown me a big Yellow and white fly tied with wool. One of the guys hooked the only big fish of the day on one of those flies. I went to leader it and land it and the fish shook his head at the boat and tore the leader. I asked the trout fisherman what pound test it was and he said 12#. I promptly "closed the barn door after the horse escaped" and changed him to 25#. We did not catch another big fish. All the big fish I catch in winter in much clearer water than we have in the flats is on 25# FC. A loop knot gives the fly plenty of freedom to move.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wild Bill,

Thanks for your advise. I'm assuming your "floating" line leaders would be the same for an intermidiate line as well. To attach the different test lines together to make your leaders, do you use Uni to Uni knots? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
TF-

Unless tossing poppers with an intermediate line, I treat it as a sinking line and use straight 25# FC.

I use a three turn blood knot, moisten, pull it very tight and clip flush with nail clippers. I have never had one of those let loose and they are pretty smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts