Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a few lures to drag around , and was told leaders should be replaced. ( 4"-6" cedar plugs/skirted jigs) They have heavy mono leaders (100-160lb # plus) and I was going to use American Fishing Wire Surflon Nylon Coated 1x7 Stainless Steel Leader Wire..
I plan to mail order as I live a an area that is somewhat remote -- I can not see exactly what I am buying- more reason to ask those that know!

My question is what # test should I order?

( ex,, Is 100# wire-- 1/2 dia of 100# mono? I really have no idea and would like to go as thin as possible to help action)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I would also like to make some leaders for my spoons and x- raps---- I would love to look for some kings next year!

Edit: After typing I remembered I had some pre-made leaders for the x-raps they say 45#

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I would stick with mono if I am going after stripers. I use 100lb. class fluorocarbon leader material. Not sure if the stainless materials would alter the action of the lures in the water.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I would not think you would want to use wire for anything other than Kings or Wahoo. Inshore I find 50/60lbs leaders is enough for anything you are going to encounter and the reels being used.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New to what I am asking about- sorry-- more info better. Talking about next summer, spending a little more time fishing Off Va beach, Mainly looking for spanish and a King or 2. (I am a spanish nut)
BUT--

I picked up this stuff because , its always been in back of my mind-- I did a little trolling many yrs ago. Further off Beach - we trolled cedar plugs. some Bally rigs. Had some fun caught a few fish. thinking about getting out to some of same areas.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
For Spanish, wire is not needed. I have never lost a clark spoon trolling off Va Beach. Far as Kings, I will let other comment since I do not spend a lot of time targeting them. Offshore for Wahoo is the only time I use wire and then it is 100lbs braided stainless steel wire about 12 inches in front of the hook or swimming lure.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
BTW, never thought about Cedar plug for rock... Something I should try?
I have seen people use red & white ceder plugs used in a inline sinker setup. And they work. They will swim kinda like a tonic but need to be trolled a little faster to get the required swimming action.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spanish- Its normal for me to loose 2-3 clarkspoons a trip (6hr) to cut-offs. (20# floro)
Was thinking if I go to King territory, I may want to use small wire leader on the larger spoons I drop over to entice kings or larger spanish.
Not sure if it might stop bite.. I have seen spanish come up and give spoon a good look-over , 2 ft away from prop at 7-8 mph

BTW, I really do appreciate the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts