Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was watching a fishing show on this morning. The host was fly fishing in Canada for big brookies. Well he got one in the 20 plus range. But man do I hate to see people that are suppose to know better do what he did. After he played the fish out. Instead of either walking that fish to shore and landing it, or bring the end of the line to with in a few inches of the tip. He keeps out about 10 to 15 feet of line plus the leader. then grabs the rod half way between the grip and the furrel. Then puchs his arms stright back and stretches his other arm forward and at the same time steps out with one leg as far as he could and just barelly pulled the fish over the end of the net. The hole time standing in water up to his crouh and running perty hard. If he had tried to landed a saltwater fish like say a albie, that way. You could have said by by to the tip of the rod. He was also lucky he didn't take a fall right their and then. I don't know who decides how they pick some of these hosts for some of these shows. But some one should teach them how to do things right. Before they are allowed to go on the air. What has always suprised me, is that lefty never had a tv show for us fly fisherman. I love filp palits show , but it never seems to be on that long before it is replaced with some other show for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with that. Except that english guy would have to go. he is one day going to go after the wrong person who will very quiklly put him on his butt and if he is dumb enough to get up. Which i think he is. He would just as quiklly end up their again only a little more painfully.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Hey Walt-

That was Capt Matt Miller and he would be the first one to cut in front of other fishermen at Montauk. This year, however, he was somewhat subdued and stayed more to himself. I would run down past all the boats to check out the area out from the town and he would often be down there by himself. Maybe he learned something seeing what he actually looked like on that show, and perhaps he heard some of the negative feedback from the many fly fishermen who watched Guide House.

If they wanted reality, he showed one side of some guides. Fortunately, most up there are gentlemen, and ladies (cannot forget Amanda).

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bill lets hope he did. And you are right. He showed a side of some guide's that none of us would want to be exposed to, If we had been on his boat. You are also right when you said most are not like that and are gentlmen. I may also add And perfect young ladies. (like Amada and Sara). bwahahahaha I want to stay on their good side. bwahahaha

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been told some buy their way on. others get it just because their in the right place at the right time. I think some start out in their local areas and then try to expend to other markets. But like you I don't really know. But it does seem that guys that really know what their talking about. Don't seem to get a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts