Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm respooling some reels, planning on doing some shad fishing @Ancarrows in the next couple of days. What pound test is adequate? I imagine they can exert some decent pressure which can be compounded by the current flow. Didn't want to go too heavy cuz then I can't cast those tiny darts/spoons worth a darn.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody use power pro type lines? I have one reel spooled up with that but it is really obvious in the water. Maybe not an issue in the murky James? I think I'll get some 6 lb. mono for a new crappie reeel I bought. Gonna give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Wasoupy, I use my regular bass and or crappie rods. Bass rods are bait casters with 8#, crappie rods are spinning reels with 4# or 6#. Doesn't matter. On friday, 3 of us caught 200. All us used gold or silver spoons. 1/2 ounce egg weight on main line, small swivel, mono leader about 12-18" long, to spoon. Carolina rig I guess. Cast across current, count it down while the current pulls it. Change count 'til you get bit, then repeat.

Take a couple of Sabiki rigs with you. Herring and white perch love them.

Call me if you need more details.

Dayton

·
Registered
365 Posts
Two weekends ago I caught a ton of hickorys and 5 americans just by casting sabikis with a slow retrieve. I did just as well as the fly fisherman who usually smoke me. Nice thing about the sabikis, is that herring and perch will hit them too. Some anglers wish to avoid the small ones. If this is your intent, use small gold spoons. 6 pound line should be perfect. Set your drag properly because a big american can break you off. And if you are using Sabikis, there is the possibility ( likelihood? ) of hooking 2 or 3 hickorys at once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts