Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive finally saved up and forked out for a Torium 30 for deep dropping/seabassing. Any recommendations for a rod to pair with this reel? Im looking for something that is lightweight as ill be using it all day, ideally under $100, and has enough backbone to muscle up deep fish (grouper etc) but also sensitive/fun enough for smaller quarry (seabass etc). Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hamish

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You're asking a lot of a rod to do well with a 3 lb seabass or a 60 lb grouper or golden. Even going from blue lines to groupers is a jump. I haven't seen an off the shelf jigging rod rated to 20 ozs or better for a lure, nor one that will handle it very well. My advice would be to set the 30 up for grouper with a 50-80 lb class rod and get something a bit smaller for sea bass and blue lines. For the grouper and goldens you need to be able to get them off the bottom in a hurry which means a rod with a slow, very stiff action for lifting. Blue lines have a hercky jerky kind of fight and you'll want a rod with a softer tip to keep from popping hooks.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I saw some shimano Trevala rods at Greg's Bait Shack yesterday and they look really nice. They are light and can probly handle any type of fishing you can think of. Or you can try a Cedros from Okuma they are nice looking if you want to look cool while fishing..hehe Oh and ill email you that info for the Cedros rods i wanted sometime this week Greg.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ugly Sticks will hold anything you want from grouper,goldens to seabass. We have boated numerous Grouper over 45 lbs and used the same rig to catch bass or bluelines. They are cheaper and have a return policy if you break it. I fish Tekota and Toriums on them and they have NEVER let us down. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE HIGH DOLLAR STUFF FOR IT TO BE GOOD!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use a Torium 20 (with 50lb braid)on a Shimano Trevala TFC63M and it is a great set up for jigging deep, or baiting cobia. My set up has caught cobia over 60lbs with no issue. Some family in Montauk use the Torium 30's and Dawia Saltist reels on the Shimano Trevala TFC63MH for jigging yellowfin out at the canyons. Brother-in-law has had some nice big eyes on that set up as well. Green Top in Richmond has a great selection of Shimano rods. The Torium is a winch-you'll love it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for all the helpfull replies. I had previoulsy looked at the Talavera and Ugly Sticks at Bishops and BP, now its make-your-mind-up-time, and go get one. I agree with Darren that its going to be hard to find a rod to do both, so ill rig for the heavy fish and see if I cant find something else for the shallower water wreckin.
Cheers,
Hamish

·
Registered
231 Posts
You're asking a lot of a rod to do well with a 3 lb seabass or a 60 lb grouper or golden. Even going from blue lines to groupers is a jump. I haven't seen an off the shelf jigging rod rated to 20 ozs or better for a lure, nor one that will handle it very well. My advice would be to set the 30 up for grouper with a 50-80 lb class rod and get something a bit smaller for sea bass and blue lines. For the grouper and goldens you need to be able to get them off the bottom in a hurry which means a rod with a slow, very stiff action for lifting. Blue lines have a hercky jerky kind of fight and you'll want a rod with a softer tip to keep from popping hooks.
We have caught 20" flounder on the trevala 6 ft MH, and we have caught 50 lb amberjack. If that aint what your lookin for then you can't find what you want!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
We have caught 20" flounder on the trevala 6 ft MH, and we have caught 50 lb amberjack. If that aint what your lookin for then you can't find what you want!
And I can drive a nail with a 20 lb sledge hammer. That doesn't mean it is the best tool for the job.

Sure I use my deep rod for sea bass sometimes, like when there is a lot of current and I am using more lead than I like, but it isn't my noirmal practice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts