Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WILL BE IN HATTERAS FOR ONE WEEK DURING THE MIDDLE OF MAY. I HAVE A 16 FT CAROLINA SKIFF AND WILL BE OUT IN AT OI, WEATHER PERMITTING. I AM LOOKING TO FISH AROUD THE BRIDGE AND INSIDE THE INLET. WHAT SHOULD BE BETTING AROUD THIS TIME AND WHAT BAITS AND TECHNEQS SHOULD I USE AND ALSO WHAT AREAS SHOULD I FISH. ANY INFO WILL BE APREDIATED. THANKS

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want to catch some striped bass go to the western ½ of Albermarle Sound, or the Roanoke River for the best fishing. They are gathering to start the spawning run up the rivers. If you fish in the rivers make sure you get a NC freshwater fishing license. You don't need a saltwater licesnse until 2007.

Otherwise the fishing is not the best around OI this time of year.

With that said, you don't have any business going out OI in a 16' Carolina skiff. Last fall IIRC one of the boats that flipped was a 22 or 23 foot Carolina skiff. I believe that Capt Rick Caton who was just passing by in his boat was the one that pulled the three fisherman out of the water too. Its not only the size of the boat its the design to as it is not a rough water boat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mid may should be plenty of bluefish on the ebb tide west of the bridge. Flounder should be there also. Fish some of the deeper marsh points with in sight of the inlet for catch and release stripers. Davis Slough should have plenty of bluefish.

·
Registered
48 Posts
[Q]Firestomper originally wrote:
A 20' hydra sport Ocean skiff would that be ok for OI?
[/Q]

If its the one I am thinking of that has a true deep "V" hull, it is about the minimum. In other words choose your days carefully, get in/out of the inlet and don't try to fish inside the inlet.

But if its a flat bottom or almost flat bottom boat I don't recommend it at all for that inlet. Oregon Inlet was recently rated in Saltwater Sportsman, as one of the ten worst inlets in the US to go through in a small boat. In Jan this year we had a fishing charter, on a 42 foot boat. This was an ex comerical fishing type boat built for rough weather. The Captain and the other Captains took a loke at the inlet and turned around. The only boats that went out OI that day were four of the bigger ones 60 feet and longer. We still went fishing but the boat took a detour down to Hatteras Inlet and we didn't start fishing until after 1pm. But it was worth it. Jiggig we caught and released well over 100 striped bass, There were five of us fishing and we each kept two fish each. Of the fish we kept each of us had one bigger than 35 pounds which qualified for an award citation from the Division Marine Fisheries.

With that said I have been through it along with many others in 21 foot "V" bottomed boats. Just pick your days and listen to the weather forcast. If the weather kicks up its a heck of a long way to another inlet, which may be out of range for a small boat in foul weather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My boat does have deep "V" i plan on trying it in May what is acceptable 2' to 3' seas? I went out of there last year with Surfperch "Kevin" and it didn't look that bad but he goes in and out all the time. I am probably going to wait until the weather looks real good then follow a big boat out and wait to follow another in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it is about the sea --about the swell- it can be slick cam and you can have a 6 to 8 foot sea and it is fine until the tide ebbs and then it breaks all the way across in several places. As of Febuary the bouys ment there was an inlet close by --hopefully they have fixed them. Southwest and west winds are prevailing winds and they make for decent sea condtions

If mid may is normal not much going on in the ocean --good to decent bluefish around the inlet east and west of the bridge--possible some black tips if you can find a change off the beach. Lot of the locals will be looking for cobia but mid may most are looking from Rodanthe south to Cape Point

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree! The ocean can have little or no seas running but the tide, current and wind can combine and make the inlet impossiable for a small boat. Just a change in one of the three can make a world of difference. It can be no problem when you go out but a real hell when you come back.

That's why most of the year I fish farther south. The inlets are easier most of the time for a small boat and its closer to the Gulf stream. But in the winter (which is the worst weather) I do fish out of OI because that is where the best striper fishing is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I AM NOT GOING OUTSIDE THE INLET. I PLAN ON FISHING WEST OF THE BRIGE AND ONLY IF IT IS A CALM DAY WITH A GOOD FORCAST. I HAVE BEEN IN 3' SEAS IN MY SKIFF AND WILL NOT DO IT AGAIN. ANY THING BIGGER THAN 1' ILL FISH FROM THE BRIDGE. I DONT KNOW THESE WATERS EXCEPT FROM DRIVEING OVER THE BRIDGE ON MANY SURF TRIPS. IF THIS SOUNDS TO DANGERAS DONT BE AFRAID TO SAY SO. THANKS. MY SKIFF IS A J16.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like fun to me... I will give ya a call down there and we will figure out some how to go fishing. Via my boat , yours, bridge, surf. and if it gets to bad we will slip in the aquarium in manteo i know there are fish there.[grin]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.