Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an obvious question but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have a triple axle Loadmaster and with the boat on it loaded with fuel it weighs in at about 8k. Currently I have a 3 ton hydraulic floor jack that does not leak but does not seem to be up the task of jacking up a wheel to get a jack stand under it for changing tires or basic maintenance.

Do I need to step up to a 5 ton jack?

Anyone who tows a rig this large have any input???

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Ben,

When Chad had issues on the road down in NC, we needed two jacks (a floor jack then a regular car jack) to get the wheel off. I would bet a 5 ton would do it...maybe CHad will remember what we used at this guys house who was nice enough to help us (he had a jack up to the task).

Glenn

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I used to carry a 5 ton bottle jack for the boat until it blew the seals out, I carry an 8 ton now.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
20 ton bottle jack from Sams @ about $30 -- Picks up ANYTHING. Be sure to carry some peices of wood for soft ground or sand. I usually keep a couple of short 2x10 peices about 18" long.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Was going to say 8 ton, but if you can get a 20 for $30, go for it. Ditto on the wood.

Two jacks really makes it easier, depending on their range.

-TH

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you have Northern Tool down that way, they would have what you're looking for Ben.

I have an 8 ton in my work box and a couple of blocks of wood as someone mentioned.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know about blowin' seals but I did have relations with a mermaid once ;>)

I carry a 5 ton everywhere I go. Easier to leave it the truck so I know it's always there.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
My trailer jack is made of three different lenghts of 2 x 6 screwed together to form sort of a stair step with the smallest piece (on top of course) approximately 14"-18" long, each piece of 2 x 6 has a 45 on the front. Put it either in front or in back of the good tire and drive or back up on this mini ramp and change your tire!!! Works perfectly.

Lou

1 - 11 of 11 Posts