Tidal Fish Forum banner

What Test Powerpro?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  BYRD 
#1 ·
I have had two big fish break new wireline this year, one on my rod and the other on a friend's boat. Thinking of switching to PowerPro next year. I know about switching from wire to braid and will take care of guides, but what test PP do most of you use for big rockfish? If not PP, what?

#2 ·
PP is good, I use 65lb on most mine, but you gotta tie a mono leader to absorb the shock of the hit. I use 50lb mono for leader, about 10 feet tied with a double uni knot...I like the mono with stretch, not the stiff stuff.

#4 ·
Good question with probably a variety of preferences. I like 65 lb. TuffLine XP or Power Pro, but I went up to a 100 lb. mono leader after hearing many charter boat captains all recommending the heavy leader. I saw a good example on Dec. 31 as a guest on my boat lost a nice fish when his 50 lb. leader parted about half way to the boat. My guess is that the fish had the bucktail down in its mouth and the line just got sawed in half on its teeth. On the other hand, my guest thinks it was a monster fish.
I have a neighbor who is a commercial pound net fisherman. He said he gets a small bucket of lures out of stripers or the net itself from his pound net each year, many with broken line or leaders still attached to the lure. He mentioned one quite long fish that was really skinny, apparently from not being able to feed due to the lure in its throat. Do yourself and the fish a favor and use the heavier leader.
Tom

#7 ·
80-100 # power pro is what I have noticed to be the standard for trolling on the charter boats I have worked on and been out on in general. I like the Power Pro for MANY reasons, but have four rods spooled with wire as well....everything has its place..... As far as the wire line, I have fished it for many years since I was young. Most of the problems with it come from human error. Many people dont care for the wire like they should. Always rinse it off after use with fresh water and my dad used to spray the reels down with wd40....not sure how good that is for the enviroment.....replace any sections that are showing signs of wear or kinks....be sure to replace wire line once a year or when signs of wear start to show....I am sure there are MANY more schools of thought out there, but here is my 2 cents worth....tight lines!!

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments. While I enjoy the reports, as someone who is still learning about this fishing thing, the tips and hints I have received over the past few years have greatly added to my success and enjoyment. Thanks to Brandon and all the TF members for making this possible. To playnhooky, I always wash down all of my rigs with freshwater and spray with WD40. I used to use Reel Magic but have not been able to find it lately. To riverwatcher I think you are right about rockfish teeth sawing through leaders. We landed several big fish this year that had completely swallowed the lure including a 24oz mojo. The leaders on those fish were badly frayed and we were lucky to get them aboard. Anybody ever used a short wire leader for rockfish?

#11 ·
PowerPro is great stuff. Zero stretch and no roller guides required. I use 65 lb for eelin', 85 lb for trolling and 20 for casting w/ light tackle. I have tried leaders of double-nail-knotted flourocarbon for casting. Reds and trout sometimes seem to stray from the PowerPro tied directly to the lures.

#12 ·
I use 60 lb PP on my lines that I drop deep. I use 40lb mono on others. Still like mono for visibility on the lines I run further back. The key is to set your drag light enough to take the hit from a big fish but also enough that it still sets the hook. Then the key is to let the fish come to the boat when its ready. Striper tire quickly so there is no need to horse them. Like my father explained to me some time back with relation to golf clubs. "Its not the arrow its the indian". When you see people catching 500lb marlin on 8lb test then it has to be possible to fish lighter line for rocks.

Andy

#13 ·
as for striper trolling/conventional rigs, i use use power pro. with NO LEADER before the snap swivel(always a coast lock). also i use 80# leader on my smaller baits(tomics, bucktails, storms) and 100#leader on mojo's, big stretches, bunker spoons.

im my opinion, 50# leader is just bit to light for big rockfish- but fine if your targeting the slot sized fish.
rockfish really aren't lineshy, so i doubt you'll notice any decrease in bites.

if you insist on usuing the lighter leaders, just retie your lure every other fish or(keep a good check at the hookeye)

my thoughts on the lost fish... if you've broke 2 main lines and/or leaders, either the line needs replacing or the drag is a bit tight.

rockfish cant really chew thru leaders like say a bluefish, when we were eeing, i was usuing 80#leader and never lost a hook, never retied a hook, and most fish requied you to put you fist down their throat to get the hook back.

fwiw: wire line will get rust inside itself and you'll never see it. at least with braid you can usually tell when its fixin to give out

danny

#14 ·
50 lb. Tie direct to swivel, unless casting lures. Then I use 20lb flouro with an albright knot. Ususally casting to specks and pups. I have not had any break offs with 50 lb leader. I fished three days last week and caught 31 rock. 5 of which were citations and a vast majority of the others were over 40 inches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.