Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read where all boaters in Virginia will have to have proof of taking a boating course by July of next year.
So I called the tackle dealer that posted this item and asked about out of state boaters. He says it's a Federal regulation. Has anyone heard of this from Md.'s DNR or from the state?

I tok the Power Squadron course back in 1973 but no longer have the certificate. Do Power Suadron's still exist and if so do they still offer the course how about the Coast aguardiente Auxillary?

I know I could call the Coast Guard but it is Saturday and some one on here usually has the dope on **** like this.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took a chance and called the Coast Guard and they answered and told me they know nothing about this. So the Virginia guy is giving out bad info as far as it being federal. I did know that Va. Was doing this. Md. Does require the course for those born after a certain year.
So forget my original post for now.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Perhaps Maryland SHOULD require a basic safety recertification including an eye exam every 3 to 5 years regardless of age.

·
Registered
14,003 Posts
MD needs to give a common sense exam! I do know that you are required to possess a boaters safety course card to operate in DC waters but have never been asked for one. It was a good course to take and I think it should be mandatory in all States. 40 States have the requirement now. MD requires one if you were born after July1, 1972. The certificate still does not replace common sense though. Can't be taught!! WAY too many boating deaths this year. Boat safe and keep an eye out for idiots and drunks...........Gary

·
Registered
424 Posts
My wife just did the MD boaters safety course and passed with 100% final test score - ended up being a total of about 6 hrs. [I took the course when I was 13 and am exempt because of age and other accreditations that I have attained since then. She's exempt too but I'm not saying why :wink44:]

I think the certification should be mandatory - I spend a lot of time with "everyday" boaters and am constantly amazed at how unprepared and ignorant even the most "seasoned" boaters really are - Shocking actually.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
when I first bought my boat my son had to take the course,so I took it with him. I've been boating for a long time, but it was still very useful.
While the course material was good, the instructor's "value added" points were even better.

Just because you HAVE to take the course in MD if you are born ion 1972 or after sure doesn't mean you CAN'T take it if you are an old fart

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
when I first bought my boat my son had to take the course,so I took it with him. I've been boating for a long time, but it was still very useful.
While the course material was good, the instructor's "value added" points were even better.

Just because you HAVE to take the course in MD if you are born ion 1972 or after sure doesn't mean you CAN'T take it if you are an old fart
I'm 71 yrs old and have been on the water since I was 15. I took a boating safety course in 2012 so you're never too old. Last year I realized that my reflexes weren't as good as they used to be so this is my last year with my own boat. Hopefully I'll spend the next 15 or so years hitching a ride.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
All that is true, but to answer the question, no! That would be an impossible nightmare and their are no where near enough courses offered to accommodate a massive influx of folks next spring! These courses are so rudimentary, as well, I guess better that nothing.

The course for, and test for the Coast Guard's Charter boat license was difficult and required hours of study. But I learned a lot. It's worth it even if you don't Charter. ( To Charter, you also have to have a MD DNR license, which is largely paying several hundred bucks to the DNR with a catch - I was surprised to find the Maryland Charterboat industry is a Limited Entry deal, with only a set number of licenses issued. You have to wait a couple years to get an opening. I ended up negotiating with a retiring Capt for his boat and license ( yes, holders can sell the license or pass it on to family).
The courses offered to study for the Coast Guard license cost several hundred, but spaces fill up month or two in advance. So, you can't just hop out and get a course.

The "Licensed Sport Fishing Guide" material is easier, and an alternative. What it licenses you for does not include running a Charterboat but it is an alternative.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary courses usually qualify you for a better insurance rate on your boat.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got wind of VA doing something several years ago so my wife and I took the VA on line safe boaters course. It was a good course and I did learn a few things, it was great for my wife. She likes to run the boat and learned things that an experienced boater takes for granted. It is a good idea for a new boater and not a bad idea for a veteran boater, like I said I learned a few things. We got a little discount on our boat insurance.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
bebopper: If you're operating a MD-registered boat in VA waters, you do not have to have the certificate if you are not subject to the certification in your home state (e.g., Maryland). If the boat is registered in VA, you need to take the class.

"A person can also meet the education requirements by meeting one of the following requirements:

•Operates a boat not registered in Virginia, temporarily using the waters of Virginia for a period not to exceed 90 days, and meets any applicable boating safety education requirements of the state of residency;"

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/education/boating-safety-education-requirement.asp

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
For heaven's sake! It's no big deal to take a course. You can do it online - free - print certificate after passing the test. Course for each state here: http://www.boatus.org/courses/ or find another one online. What go you have to say about VA requiring the throwable PFD being stored on deck, readily available? If you have to lift a hatch or open a door to get it you can get a ticket.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Breaker 1-9, this is the rubber duck... Duh, where is the double yellow line, captain? How do you expect me to drive if there are no lane dividers? If you fall overboard do you want me to make a U turn and run over you and chop you into little pieces with the propeller before I throw you a line? Is that a storm coming, the boat could use a good rinsing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts