Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a little shore fishing while in Islamorada April 14 - 21, I'm sending down a couple rods ahead of time, and will pack my reels/cast net in my luggage.

My question is this: What do I load in the 2-3 plano boxes I'm bringing?

My thoughts:
Assorted hooks/sabiki rigs for catching baits... and for live-lining said baits. Along with some baloons/bobbers.
Snaps/Barrels/Three-ways/assorted leader lines
A couple Mirro-Lures
A couple wind cheaters
A couple top water poppers (small) and floating rapalas.
A bunch of lead heads/plastics

Any suggestions on what else I should be bringing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Make sure you have some wire in with your leader assortment. Lots of toothy critters! A good pair of gloves to handle the fish is a good idea too. Good sandals/ wading shoes. Barefootin' can be PAINFUL!
Sunglasses, sunscreen, and one of those "*******" to keep your Refreshments cold!
Good luck! I'll be there a month after you, don't catch'em all!

p.s. Gold is said to be the best color for spoons:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WIRE! Okay, added that. I have the Boca grips and my Converse Chuck Taylor Allstars (best wading shoe there is).... I don't think you have to worry about me catching them all - LOL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go to "Tiny's" for the beer, coldest in town. The "Whistle Stop" is good for any other liquid refreshments you might need. Great bar food too.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bait well setup...

Dependin on what kind if fishing you plan to do, you'll want a way to keep some bait's alive. Everything eats live shrimp, you'll want to have a battery operated air bubbler and 5 gal bucket. With the bubbler the shrimps can live all day' without it about 30 minuter tops.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the bubble machine is on the list... figure I can get a bucket down there. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hey Al, don;t forget the bug spray.. Depending on which way the wind is blowing. You'll need some disposable chum bags. 2nd the good gloves. Fish ID chart would be nice too. They sell em down there.

Regarding the shrimp, I'm with WaterBoy. BUT, and this is a BIG but.. When I went into World Class Angler, a GREAT store.. The head muckedy muck, was guiding his customers to buy live shrimp, roll them up in a wet towel ,and use em dead. I don't agree, but what I did learn is not to throw dead shrimp away.

Find Toms Harbour Bridge . I thnink theres two. Fish the one more East.. Great fishing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Regarding the shrimp, I'm with WaterBoy. BUT, and this is a BIG but.. When I went into World Class Angler, a GREAT store.. The head muckedy muck, was guiding his customers to buy live shrimp, roll them up in a wet towel ,and use em dead. I don't agree, but what I did learn is not to throw dead shrimp away.
If you keep a few shrimps in a wet paper towel in a cooler they "can" live for several hours if you keep them out of the fresh water, some say they can last a couple days if the conditions are right (cool and damp). Either way, fresh dead is better than no shrimp at all, not the stuff you buy in the market either, that's all been frozen.

If I'm wade fishing I bring 2 liter soda bottle for a bait holder. Poke a few holes in the side with a knife, slide the shrimps in (and out) through the screw on cap, even the big ones, put them in backwards they'll fit fine. Then I poke a small hole in the cap, pull a 1/4" line through, tie a knot in the tag end and tie the other end to your belt as you walk around, wala.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm... I'd imagine I'll have an empty two litre ginger ale bottle pretty quickly (lol... after a couple bourbon drinks). That's a good idea Water Boy, and PBFC Approved - Poor Boys Fishing Club.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Hey Al....farm Fresh has 3 liter bottles of soda which have a wider mouth which might make retrieving the baits a little easier

give me a holler when ya get down here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts