Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have $50 to Bass pro shops, but I'm not sure what to buy. We got 3 new trolling rods and RW's had an awesome sale on line so I don't need any of that. We have 3 umbrellas, 1 new one has all hoses with big hooks. The other two have shad, one are 4" chartreuse with green tops, and the other are 6" chartreuse with green tops. We have a few other trolling lures, including a chartreuse mojo w 9" shad, 9" white bucktail, and 6" electric chicken bucktail. We also have two diving planers with hoses for bluefish. The rest is mostly random spoons, live spot rigs, freshwater baits etc.

I was thinking about getting some other shad bodies or bass assassins or something, I don't know if all chart would be worth it or what size to get. This year is seemed like only small baits were getting the fish. I'de like to get some rockfish gear for the spring, otherwise I'de like to get something for summer gamefish (maybe red drum?)

Any advice?
Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
294 Posts
you know I got some gift cards from there too for christmas... but other than clothing or bass fishing stuff they are inferior to green top sporting goods. I found some things and bought it that you might find interesting. check out the accessories aisle. I ended up buying a mercury impeller (water pump) rebuild kit, 2 quarts of mercury lower unit grease and a browning kit bag. the bag I bought was about the size of a womans purse. awesome piece of equipment to carry phone, camera, wallet, boat papers, gloves, hat in, etc. all in one place.

spending money never seems painful so you shouldn't have a hard time. If you're like me, getting there is the hard part!

·
Registered
154 Posts
i can second the kit bag idea and green top comment. i normally use gift cards to supplement a larger purchase or something i normally don't buy. other ideas: waterproof boots/waders, stretch 25's, smaller body umbrellas, storm lures, assortment of lead, snap/barrel swivels, new mono(whens the last time you relined rods?), chart card for gps or chart book, fish scaler, fillet knife, gloves.....ha, just walk around with a cart and see what you end up with. not sure if you can use it over at isla morada to eat but that'd be one heluva lunch!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its definately easy to get stuff in person, I don't have a store around me so I'm shopping online. I already picked up 1,500 yrds of #40 mono at RW's, it was only $25 so I couldn't pass up the deal. Pretty much everything has line that's from October or newer. I also just got a few new carrying cases for the gear, so I don't think I'll need the bag. I think I might go with a stretch 25, some different soft plastics, and a new big net.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm with flight risk- not a whole lot of tackle that's of interest at BPS - unless you're fishing freshwater. Maybe the stretch 25 - but you don't want to be trolling more than about one of those.

You mentioned your success with the small lures - that's been true for me in the summer and fall as well. Striper fishing in the spring for me has been with 9" and 12" shads on large umbrellas - white or chartreuse. If you're looking for striper gear I'd recommend that you hit one or two of the spring fishing shows up in MD - great gear at even greater prices. Huge selection and almost always discounted. I've been buying 9" shad at the shows for $1 - can't do that at BPS or Greentops. My personal opinion is Greentops has an excellent selection of gear for freshwater and largemouth - but not a whole lot for saltwater - I think you'll be surprised at how much is available at the spring shows. Rods and Reels and combos at great prices too , if you're still looking to add to your trolling spread.
Some of the shows also have scheduled talks - usually one on trolling and one on jigging - all very interesting and informative. Usually a great group of people at these shows, many who are experienced and willing to share information. I'm planning on attending at least two.

Good luck out there this spring!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with flight risk- not a whole lot of tackle that's of interest at BPS - unless you're fishing freshwater. Maybe the stretch 25 - but you don't want to be trolling more than about one of those.

You mentioned your success with the small lures - that's been true for me in the summer and fall as well. Striper fishing in the spring for me has been with 9" and 12" shads on large umbrellas - white or chartreuse. If you're looking for striper gear I'd recommend that you hit one or two of the spring fishing shows up in MD - great gear at even greater prices. Huge selection and almost always discounted. I've been buying 9" shad at the shows for $1 - can't do that at BPS or Greentops. My personal opinion is Greentops has an excellent selection of gear for freshwater and largemouth - but not a whole lot for saltwater - I think you'll be surprised at how much is available at the spring shows. Rods and Reels and combos at great prices too , if you're still looking to add to your trolling spread.
Some of the shows also have scheduled talks - usually one on trolling and one on jigging - all very interesting and informative. Usually a great group of people at these shows, many who are experienced and willing to share information. I'm planning on attending at least two.

Good luck out there this spring!
Maybe I should be getting some bigger shad then, I only have 6" and 4" umbrellas. I did pick up a 8" stretch 25 though. We're doing pretty well for rods, 5 is a lot for how much room and rod holders we have. Are there generally bigger striper in the spring rather than late fall? I was shocked to see a 20" rockfish fit a whole 6" shad in his mouth, I couldn't image it going after a 9".

Thanks for the advice and good luck to you too!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Baits

Im not disagreeing with anyone. But in my opinion u need a couple stretch 25s. Chart. Color. They catch fish. They have saved me from geting skunked many times. I dont have trouble like some people do fishing them.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If you stagger them out at 40 foot intervals you should be fine. I have run 6 off a boat before when nothing else we put in would get hit. I would go with white/red head, chart, chrome/blue back. You could also use that gift card for buying terminal gear. Leader material, three way swivels, stinger hooks and some coastlocks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah man, well they were out of chartreuse stretches, I went with menhaden (green/white) color. There was a blue/white and chartreuse/orange, and then some stretch 30's. I'll look out for chart stretch 25's in the future. I bought some snaps, they aren't coastlocks though. Actually I have a question about those, do you normally clip right onto lures or is it too conspicuous? On most of the bucktails I started to use 80lb test mono with a hammered sleeve, I wasn't sure if the fish can tell that over just using a coastlock so I played it safe.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You will get both opinions about tying directly or using snaps. Personally I have lost fish from line twist so I started using either a high quality snap swivel to attach my leader to the three way or using a snap to hook directly to the lure. I have not noticed any real difference in bites with the snap at the lure. I don't think rockfish are leader shy, I catch many fish on umbrellas with a 48 ounce inline hooked right to the umbrella frame. For your spring fishing make sure you load up on baits with nine in shad. 9 out of 10 I catch in the spring are on parachute with 9 in shad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Remobeater - I recommend you buy BPS large stumpjumpers and sling jigs. They are overpriced at BPS but you have the gift card. I didn't believe the holographic coloring on the sling jigs was worth the price until a fishing buddy (of much lesser skill of course) standing next to me outfished me rockfishing 4 to 1 at Bouy 62. Jigging is more of a fall technique, but some fishermen on the MD board had great success on the spring.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Remobeater - set your sights high for the spring. There's a reason for the 32" minimum limit in the spring season. As satterly put it - 9 out of 10 fish are on the 9" shads. Mine would be 10 out of 10, as I switch all my baits to 9", and have begun trying 12" shads as well, with success. The fish will be spawning, or just finishing the spawn - hopefully the fish that didn't make it to the bay in the fall will be there. Sure hope they are still out there.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
They will be back in the spring just like they were last year, more than food drives them up the bay that time of year. Waynesboro, how is the hook up ratio on those 12" shad? I have though about using them but putting two stinger hooks in each.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I got some gift cards as well, and have been trying to figure out the same-(wish they were greentop cards) Decided to wait and save em up for my electric downrigger I want. So my recomendation is to give it to me and tell everyone next time to get you greentop cards :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Satterly,

Had two bites, two hook ups, with the 12". I only ran one line with the 12" - so can't say if there is a preference for the 9 or 12", but I'll be picking up more 12" this spring at the shows, and get more lines with the larger shads.

I run one stinger with the 12", just like the 9". Not sure how the shad action would be with two stinger hooks, but worth a try.
You might post the question on the MD board - I know there have been several questions in the past about 12" shad, and many are trying them - they might have better feedback on stinger hooks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Use the cards to have lunch in their restaurant - then go to Green Top and stock up on the real stuff and decent prices!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im not disagreeing with anyone. But in my opinion u need a couple stretch 25s. Chart. Color. They catch fish. They have saved me from geting skunked many times. I dont have trouble like some people do fishing them.
Alright, well you convinced me. I found a 3 pack online for $35. I'll test them out in the spring.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Spend your money at Bass Pros on "no fishing stuff" and buy your fishing rods, lures, etc from Green Top. You will be very glad you did. :thumbup:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

NO BAIT = NO FISH = NO FISHERMEN

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey Guys!-- Been reading these "tips" about lures AND-- Why no mention about "TOMICS"? We usually run at lest one way back (like a stretch) or off a three-way, inda ocean. Been using 5'and 7' w/ a mixture of greens, with fairly good results when they're in VA waters. Otherwise, it's off to NC waters, to get into warmer sea temps..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts