Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't like to do it but sometimes I do fish alone. When I hook up I take the boat out of gear until I land the fish so the boat is not wandering all over the place screwing everyone else up. These are usually short notice trips so there is not time to ask for a ho or line up friends. What do others do?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well, the only time I tried to go by myself (one day cobia fishing), I was leaving Williamsburg heading for Wallaces. It so happens that half way down I-64, one of the wheels on my boat trailer froze - spitting rubber and blowing white smoke everywhere. :cool: I vowed never to do it again.

Now I keep my boat at the HYC and still think about going out by myself. My biggest concern is safety. The only thing stopping me is that I can't imagine how many times I've been thankful to have that extra hand on board.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Ask For Ho's

Ask for Ho's from this board by telling them boat size & type, when, where, etc. you are thinking of going, so they know what to expect when the volunteer. Also sort this list by topic and there are plenty of suggested dos & donts for HOs. If not Fish Dad can fill you in! :D:D:D

They can teach you some things and return the favor. I have fish with a number of folks off this board and enjoyed fishing with every one of them.

Tight Lines & Happy Holidays,
Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Asscociation- Virginia
Stripers Forever

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't like to do it but sometimes I do fish alone. When I hook up I take the boat out of gear until I land the fish so the boat is not wandering all over the place screwing everyone else up. These are usually short notice trips so there is not time to ask for a ho or line up friends. What do others do?
I fish alone 90% of the time. just keep aware of EVERYTHING, dont rush around the boat, if possible wear a pfd. make sure radio works, cell is nice but service sometimes sucks at the 3rd isl. your right about taking it out of gear, unless you have a locking steering wheel where you can turn out away from the crowd.

·
Registered
563 Posts
There was a good thread on this very topic within the last few days on this board. Do a search for it, had lots of good advice, some disagreement, no flaming.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If there are others also trolling or drifting in the immediate vicinity, do not take the boat out gear. Instead, slowly make you way away from the other boats to a position where you will not interfere with anyone else's activities. Then you should take the boat out of gear, play the fish and carefully net it without leaning overboard.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I fish almost always by myself. I hate having to wait on other people or getting excuses of why they cant make it. I was always the first one on the dock waiting for everybody else. Now i have a nice boat i'll others but half the time they are a no show. I do alot of night time fishing and is very careful on the things that i do. Really know the area your fishing keep it in gear and head away from everyone else. Ancoring sucks with one person so i usually end up trolling. I just don't think anybody loves to fish more than me................. I'll have plenty of time to sleep when i'm dead... right now its fishing. Ok the kids and family are in there too.........

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to fish by my self all the time and still do if I want to go and can`t get someone. The thing to do with no shows is stop offering and find new people. I run a 25ft boat and find easy to still anchor if needed just took some practice and I usualy launch by myself anyway due to the fact the guys cant back a trailer and mine is realy long so getting it in spots at the ramp can be a pain. The only thing that I have thought of to make it safer is to were a pfd either one of the fanny packs or a sos both are small and compact as of recently my old man retired so he can go at a drop of a hat and he is fine with fishing in any weather condition

·
Registered
65 Posts
Leave the boat in gear just above idle speed when you start reeling in the fish it avoids the tangles and keeps pressure on when multiple hook ups. Lots of fun to fish 4 rods solo and boat three or fish on one pass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts