Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to prepare for the spring and trolling in general. I've picked up some tandems rigs to run and plan on running an umbrella or two. My question is what kind of swivels do you use? Type and size would help. Also, can you explain the differences of the swivels and when they should be used, attaching to the rig, connecting inline sinkers etc. Like I said I'm still trying to learn and set myself up for trolling. Hopfully I can get everything I need this weekend at the flea market.

·
Premium Member
17,405 Posts
I personally don't use many swivels when trolling unless I'm going for Mac's and Blues

For my spread I use from the rod a coastlock snap swivel to my inline then a duo-lock directly to my Umbrella/Tandem this works well for me because I can crank the entire rig right up to the boat where if needed I can net it myself.

Everyone is different !!! Some people use 15/30 ft leader to each is own.

If your going to the Tristate Show just stop by and see Capt Wayne Morgan he will stop what he's doing to help you out Great guy!!!!!

Mike B

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Sampo-only swivel I'll use.For springtime I like the 150lb. snap swivels with a tournament snap.These are ball bearing-about $2.00 each but worth every penny.I put one on each line from the reel.For tandems use a 3/0 three way swivel.For spoons use one snap swivel and half way on the leader one swivel.Watch out for the cheaper brands-a real big rock can break them.If you make it to Tri-state stop by my table (anchors/planer boards) after the crowd thins out.More then happy to draw out the rigs for you. Skip

·
Premium Member
17,405 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with Sampo products but just last year 2 separate times I had the Sampo swivels break on me one was light tackle trolling with 150lb snap swivel when a decent size rock crushed a tandem and was on its way to the boat with a rather small guy at the reel and the freaking swivel broke at the bearings.

2nd was down CBBT with Andy Stepchild/Beth and Griff
I was asked to try the 60 lb Sampo Snap Swivel for easy changing my jig heads out.
Well I was fishing in the middle of the bridge and Fish on !!!! 5 seconds later bamm gone I reel it up and the same thing happened broke at the bearings !!!! Tried one more with the same results and will never try one again!!!!! Either I had bad luck 3 times or they need to be rethinking there design . Again I'm not complaining about all there products just the swivels.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Wow three swivels. I have used Billfisher also and dont think they are bad. I think if I had that happen I wouldnt use them either. Sorry about your bad luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've used 150 lb coast lock swivels for years and never had a problem with them. Last year I went to a reel on leader eliminating at least one swivel. It lets me reel all the way down to the fish instead of having to handline in a 15 to 20 foot leader. I put the in-line sinker on the front of the umbrella rig. It really simplified my fishing.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Not knocking anyones choice but SPRO power swivels have worked well for me. I like to use them because of their small size and can attach mono to braid and still bring the swivel through the top eye on the rod. I also use their coatal lock snaps. Like the Sampo hardware they don't come cheap.

SPRO Coastal Lock Swivels

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I've had good luck with Sampo, Rosco, and Billfisher componets. Just make sure to use a coastloc or better.

·
Registered
9,012 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with Sampo products but just last year 2 separate times I had the Sampo swivels break on me one was light tackle trolling with 150lb snap swivel when a decent size rock crushed a tandem and was on its way to the boat with a rather small guy at the reel and the freaking swivel broke at the bearings.

2nd was down CBBT with Andy Stepchild/Beth and Griff
I was asked to try the 60 lb Sampo Snap Swivel for easy changing my jig heads out.
Well I was fishing in the middle of the bridge and Fish on !!!! 5 seconds later bamm gone I reel it up and the same thing happened broke at the bearings !!!! Tried one more with the same results and will never try one again!!!!! Either I had bad luck 3 times or they need to be rethinking there design . Again I'm not complaining about all there products just the swivels.
Is'nt that the day I was Ho'in too?How come you were the ONLY one to have a problem,Mike??Maybe you were set-up!!!!:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
FYI-when you hook a snap swivel to the lug on the reel or the foot of a rod guide-make sure to close it.If left open it can weaken and break. Skip

·
Registered
849 Posts
i'll have to second slipsinker on the spro's.
as good as sampo's are, i think spro's are even a little better.
i've been using them for several years now, and have no complaints -- other than the price:eek: . but they're worth every penny.

b

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
BB swivels are the best but expensive. We use the umbrella rig clips. One thing you should do. I see guys buying 4/0 swivels for spring gear. they think bigger is better. MATCH THE SWIVEL TO THE LINE>>> Its ok to go a little over but using a swivel rated for 250-300# line on 80# leader will not let the swivel do what its supposed to do. You want it turning

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Just one more thing I want some opionions on, not sure if it changes the thought process of what has already been said but I am running 50# mono, didnt plan on using braid or leaders. Do I still use the swivels the same way and in the same locations? Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
50lb mono is fine for the main fishing line.Most guys use 60lb. clear Ande for leaders-80lb on the short (2-4') drop with umbrellas.Braid is the best-most of us "top shot"-300 feet of braid on top of the mono.Braid doesn't stretch-really helps with hooking fish. Skip

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks guys. Just one more thing I want some opionions on, not sure if it changes the thought process of what has already been said but I am running 50# mono, didnt plan on using braid or leaders. Do I still use the swivels the same way and in the same locations? Thanks
John

YES...the type line you use doesn't change where the swivels go.

Ed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts