Tidal Fish Forum banner

What Type of Reels to you Primarly Use to Fish Saltwater?

• Penn

Votes: 58 35.8%
  • Shimano

Votes: 80 49.4%
  • Daiwa

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Abu Garcia

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Okuma

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Pflueger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.7%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Shimano (Symetre, Stratic, Calcutta, TLD-15), Penn (5500/4500-SS, 114H, 330-GTI, 500-L), Diawa (Capricorn, Saltist, SHV-30/50)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Penns for all types. The only problem I had is a broken tip on a Torque rod which might have been my fault as it looked like a crimp where it broke. NO, I don't own any stock other than my investment in the rods & reels. Maybe I should have :yes:.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Brandon,

Penn-Trolling, Casting, Heavy Jigging

Abu-Drifting, Light Jigging, Casting

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

NO BAIT = NO FISH = NO FISHERMEN

·
Registered
247 Posts
Trolling - Shimano
Baitcasters - Abu Revo Toro
Spinning - Okuma V-system

i use the baitcasters and spinners for light jigging, drifting, and casting.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Trolling is penn. Ive got a pair of oddball quantums that i use for trout. Some daiwas for flounder and drum, an abu, and a tica. My one big spinned is a penn. Plus two smaller pinnacles

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mostly fly fishing in the salt--Ross Reels--excellent performance and value.
All of my conventional and spinning reels are Penn (but mostly more than 20 years old--some are closer to 30+ when there were few brands and Penn was universally the recognized as the best)

·
Registered
140 Posts
What no Zebco's on the pole?....That's what I cut my teeth on as a kid. Started off with a 202 then got a 303 @ eight for my birthday.
Moved on to an Olympic spinning combo then at 15 got an ABU 5500 that I still use every once in a while.As for now like alot of you I have this need,desire,...(addiction) to keep adding stuff to my arsenal. I think we all have favorites and sometimes cycle through what we think brings us luck....(you know fisherman aren't supersticious); primary's go like this for me.
Trolling for stripers- Penn
Anchoring for cobia,drum-Shimano baitrunners,TLD's,and a lucky Diawa sealine 30...ABU 7500.
Drifting-ABU,Diawa
Baitfishing-small spinners-shimano and diawa
Taugin-Sealine 30,ABU.
Casting in the lightline-ABU or shimano spinner or Diawa spinner.

They all are pretty good if you take care of them!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Finn Nor spinning reels should be on that list. I've got 6 of them (small to large) I've been using for over 10 years. I've never had one minute of trouble out of any of them and the drags are smooth as a baby's bottom. They are well made and impervious to salt water. They are FANTASTIC reels and I highly recommend them.

b8emup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts