Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy fishing next to me yesterday morning had a crew of five onboard and was tearing up some schoolie sized stripers while I was casting my butt off and getting nada. They were fishing Carolina rigs with a live bait. Bait was small, about 3-4 inches long, silvery, somewhat flat and football shaped. What kind of fish was he using do you think? I don't think it was a spot, too big. How do I get some? Cast net? If so, how/where? Can you buy them? Also, how do I keep them alive? I have a minnow bucket but no live well.

This guy limited out with his crew in about an hour and a half of fishing. Pulled out one nice keeper flounder, too!

Brad Anderson, aboard the Miss T.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant the bait he was using was TOO SMALL for me to think it was a spot, so smaller than a spot. Do stripers even eat spot?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Guy fishing next to me yesterday morning had a crew of five onboard and was tearing up some schoolie sized stripers while I was casting my butt off and getting nada. They were fishing Carolina rigs with a live bait. Bait was small, about 3-4 inches long, silvery, somewhat flat and football shaped. What kind of fish was he using do you think? I don't think it was a spot, too big. How do I get some? Cast net? If so, how/where? Can you buy them? Also, how do I keep them alive? I have a minnow bucket but no live well.

This guy limited out with his crew in about an hour and a half of fishing. Pulled out one nice keeper flounder, too!

Brad Anderson, aboard the Miss T.
Menhaden (pogie, bunker)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, that was it! I thought bunker were bigger though. This must be what they call peanut bunker, eh? So, how do I get them? Do they fish dead, too or do they have to be alive? If alive, how do i get them and how hard are they to keep alive?

Thanks everybody! It was humbling to watch so many fish being caught 50 feet away, but I'm determined to learn from it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Brad

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
peanut bunker, eh? So, how do I get them? Do they fish dead, too or do they have to be alive? If alive, how do i get them and how hard are they to keep alive?
You get them by castnet in the coves of rivers or the creeks leading into bodies of water. They're far better when fished alive and they are hard to keep alive. You need a decent sized livewell with a good pump and rounded corners. Where I live I'm now seeing large schools of very small menhaden. These will grow rapidly as they filter the water and become excellent bait for flounder, specks, and just about anything else. Great bait for the crab pots too.

Am also catching spot right now from 2 - 5" in eel pots. In two weeks, these will catch flounder & specks. Much easier to keep alive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, those are peanut bunker. Soon you will be able to get them inside Little Creek or Lynnhaven Inlet. I didn't see them this weekend, but they should start showing up soon. We caught them pretty much every weekend last summer just throwing a cast net off of the docks at Little Creek Marina. We kept them in the baitwell & fished them alive. What area were you fishing?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
hard as hell to keep alive. as far as i know you would need a baitwell at least 30 gallon. treated with salt and perhaps shad alive..
there are many out here that have more tricks to keeping them alive than I , just had good luck with that method. Freelining is an absolute blast when you get in them..

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I have a 40 gallon live well and have kept 100 bunker alive on an all day trip many times in the Bay, stripers love 'em, and Flounder too ... good luck when you go

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't feel bad same thing happened to me on sat at the Cell. Guy pulls up in a beautiful 30 foot cc with a three man crew, puts his stern over the degausing station and proceeds to hook up constantly for the next hour. After about his fourth drift he looks over at us and says "man you guys are really on the toad bite" my crew about fell overboard laughing. He was using same bait, peanut bunker. I have not been schooled like that in a long time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Theyll be in rudee in the next couple weeks big balls about 3k large no bigger than a couple inches, you try to hit the corner and you still end up with a full net. Try and let them sit in the water for a few before you put them in the livewqell though. THeyll shed less scales and less **** too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
my bay boat doesnt have a live well so i use a 50 qt cooler to keep them in. i throw a chunk of ice in to keep the water cold and change the water often with a small jug and a 5 gallon bucket. if you lt the water run low on oxygen or get too warm they will die fast!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts