Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
ALL of my traps have 17'-18' of line to crab in 15' of water just for early and late season. If we can get a warm up up the next 2 weeks, I'll definitely try to hit them before the next full moon. If not they'll be light until memorial day.

Just as an FYI, the first confirmed bushel I know of from the South River last year was May 23. I got 3/4 bushel Friday evening of Memorial day weekend.

Chris

·
Registered
823 Posts
Go south young man, if you want to get an early start the further south you go the better. Also rememeber the males that winter over will be looking for a taste of fresh water. Once the surface temps hit the low to mid sixties they will start moving up to the further reaches of the rivers. The white perch are starting to show up in the creeks and rivers down south and the male crabs are usually right behind them. I plan on giving it a shot next weekend. Trolling for stripers on the morning tide and once the sun warms up the shallows up river drop some traps and see whats up. May even take the line just in case. Mid bay temps the past weekend 61 degrees the creeks should be in the mid sixties or higher by the weekend. Potters have been catching good numbers in 15-30 feet the last week or so. Will post results if I go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, 10 traps and I pulled them 5 times between 11 am and 4 pm and I brought home 7 keepers. It was blowin like a hooker with a car note! All and all a great day. The plan was to take the family out to hang out on the beach and it was a perfect day for that so.........guess for now I'll be fixing some sides to go with the first 7 of the year!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heading down to the James this weekend so I think I will try my new 300 ft line and see what happens. Just in case I contacted a local down there with 250 potts in the water for my backup plan.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I once pulled crabpotswith a com. in the tributaries(legal in va.in the 80s) of the York river in md march with a surface temp.of 56.We caught a bushel with around 50 pots.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Head East..Chincoteague bay to be exact. Several friends have reported to me that they are catching them in their pots. water depth average 5ft, water temp in the high 50s, low 60s depending where you are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Picked up 2 dozen in three pots in Chincoteague Bay the night of 4/15. Water temp was 57 - 58. Depth was 3' - 6'. Surprisingly they didn't eat much of the bait (ballyhoo left over from last year). Guess they were attracted but not very hungry. All the pots were coated with that slimy green seaweed. Made them hard to pull, especially with the 30 mph wind on Sunday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts