Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on taking the skiff out of SPSP if winds play nice this Saturday.
Thinking of running across to Love point and trolling north.
If you only had 4 rods( no planners)
What would you run on each Rod?

Back up plan would be to chum with the fleet that's been setting up around there.
But I think I'd like to troll a bit.
TIA

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have spoonbrella rigs use those with drone or tony spoons. If not try bottom bouncing a red and black surgical tube in two rods and spoons with lighter inline weights on the other two rods. Caught some nice fish on surgical tubes bottom bouncing in that area this time last year.
Chumming would also work too....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have spoon brellas
But I could get some
How much weight would you start out with these?
I have Tony's, drones , and Clarke
As well as some #1-2 planners
And hoses

·
Registered
475 Posts
I run 2 ea, #1&2 planers with mix of small clark's this time of year, hoping for Spanish, but settling for fast stripers at 4-6 mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have spoon brellas
But I could get some
How much weight would you start out with these?
I have Tony's, drones , and Clarke
As well as some #1-2 planners
And hoses
I don't like Clark spoons as much for rockfish. Just started using spoonbrellas this year and have caught some nice fish on them. I normally run 4 of them as follows:
-No weight or up to 3oz in line back 150'
-6oz back 120'
-8oz back 80'
-28oz back 60'
Most fish have come on 6oz or 8oz rig for me. A lot of shorts on the 28oz with occasional nice one.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
With new limit at 20 inches - I'd lean towards 1-2 oz bucktails with 6 inch shads on them. White is always good - mix the color of shads. I use white or chartreuse but dark blue works good too.

# 2 planers should hold with a single bucktail - I like these out 45 and 70 feet. They'll likely be at same depth but varying line length helps keep them separated.

The other two rods can be rigged with in lines - light if you see fish up high on meter - heavier if they are holding deeper.

# 17 Tony in silver or white is another good lure. You'll get Rock from 15 inches to 30 inches on this - but keep speed around 3 knots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys
All great info.
The wife and I have been spoiled the last few years with the good LL bite.( now that the spot are hiding)
It's time we learn a new technique .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts