Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'm in the market for a slug gun.Two guys that hunt with me have the Browning A bolt slug gun.That is a sweet shooting gun.
Someone else I know uses a 870 with the slug barrel and loves it.I have never shot it.
What are ya'll thoughts on different slug guns?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
I dont think too many will agree but I swear by my Mossbergs for slugging. If I did not own all Mossberg I will say Rem. 870 for sure. Holy **** I would like to see a slug effective at 2oo yards!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
7mm it is.
For as few times I would use it, the 870 doesn't sound bad for the price.
Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
sea ya I also shoot the A bolt they stopped making that about 6 years ago before my kids came of hunting age since then I have purchased them all different ones. Marlin used to make a 512 bolt slug gun that shoots pretty good my oldest uses this one. My next 2 kids shoot the savage model 210 bolt. I bought a mossberg 695 for my youngest and I didnt think it shot very well then I bought him an [email protected] ultra slug gun single shot WOW!!! I was very impressed.I just wish that browning would make the abolt again.Good Luck

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been looking for an A bolt but cannot find one.The two guys I know with them paid ~$1000 for the gun with a scope.The A bolt is not cheap and sounds like it was only made for 4-5 years.
Wish I could find one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got my set- up dialed in.
I have a 870 3" .30" full choke. I bought a Remington 20"fully rifled cantiliver scope mount. Bushnell 2x7 scope. I found that the winchester 3" 385 gr sabot shoot the best. I will group 3 shots within 1.5" at 100 yards.....dead on. the ballistics show that it will only drop 1.5 @150. No doubt 2.25-2.5 at 200. I just got it ready for the last week of the season.....Look out next year! i spent a little over 75.00 in ammo to find the right fit. every one will shoot different. Research the ammo ballistic table and then make narrow down your choices . I shot Remington,Federal & Winchester.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have an 870 w/1.5-4 X Bushnell, it will drive tacks at 100 yds using Remington slug, I also have a Mossberg 20 ga bolt action w/ Rifle sights. It too is very acturate using Federal slugs. I started off many moons ago with the Mossberg as it was the first gun given to me by my father. My grandson will be using it next season. The biggest thing to remember with whatever gun you get is to buy a couple box of different slug and see which shot best in the gun you get.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I know a good number of guys in my area that shoot H&R or New England Arms, slug guns. Either 12 or 20, both have done extremely well. A friend has killed deer out to 150 yards with his. My longest has been 78 yards. These are single shot, bull barrelled slug guns, I think we payed about 200 for the gun itself, maybe a little more. Cannot beat the price. They are also extremely accurate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with earlyriser. You cannot beat the H&R for price and accuracy. Shoot the lightfields slugs and you wont find a better gun. 150 yards is nothing for it.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Either the H&R or the Mossberg 695 Bolt loaded with the Winchester Partition Golds. I GUARANTEE 150 yard accuracy and I personally would pull the trigger on a clear shot at 200 across a field.

I have seen the side by side bolt action tests for various bolt guns and the Mossberg with the partition golds is tops.

BMAIL me if you wanna talk.

·
Registered
471 Posts
fishrxdr is right the lightfield slugs are awesome in the H&Rs, and I have heard the Winchester loads are great also, but I have never shot them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I own a mossberg 695 with 1.5-4.0 power scope. I shoot lightfield sabot slugs. I have shot over 25 deer with this gun. Not shots over 80 yards but every shot hit were I was aiming. This gun was sighted in about 8 years ago and has not changed zero yet. I check it every season with a few shots. The ported barrel seems to make a difference with recoil. The only problem I have is you have to be sure the clips is secure. I had drop out after the first shot and had to single load it to shoot for the other to deer.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have the .870 with a Remington slug barrel and I have nicknamed it Slugzilla. I haven't used it a lot but it is an awesome set up with a Leupold scope on it. I shot it some this year, but due to extremely good hunting luck didn't have to use to towards the end of the season as I had planned. This makes me a three .870 family - my 3" for shotgun deer, turkey, and geese and ducks according to the chokes, a 2 3/4 " when I have the rare opportunity to go upland game, and Slugzilla.

Feeshon [excited]

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
http://www.biggameinfo.com/Slugguns.aspx

Here's an article that will lead show you the capabilities of the Winchester Partition Gold matched with the Mossberg. 1.5" groups at 100 yards if your holding on. I can confirm that accuracy.

As well, look at the chart for the drop at 150 yards. 2 " That's more than good enough for me. 10" at 200. On a 100# (dressed weight) or better deer, the chest area is more than big enough to make that adjustment. 2" high at 50 yards, 2" low at 150". SWEET!!!!!!

Set it for an 2" high at 100 and there's nothing safe out to 200 with a steady rest. This gives you 4" high at 50, dead on at 150 and 8" low at 200 with enough energy left to do the trick.

This is the only combo I will shoot and there may be others that are comparable but there aren't many.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the imformation.After ya'lls inputs and doing some homework this is what I desided.

I have the H&R 25-06 I bought last year and have never shot it yet.I looked at the H&R site and I can send in my stock and forend and they will fit it with a slug barrel.
They only have the 20 gauge with the scope rail.The 12 gauge only comes with rifle sights.
The cost is $93 for the 20 gauge 24" rifled slug barrel plus $10 for S/H and $15 for labor charge to fit barrel.That's a total of $118.That leaves me some money for a scope.

Is the 20 gauge all I need?Sounds like it.
Went to Green Top today and the salesman recomended the 20 ga. H&R.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts