Tidal Fish Forum banner

What's in your first aid kit ?

2K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Buttonwood 
#1 ·
Hello everyone my name is Mark Carroll & i'm a first time poster . Yesterday i was looking at the first aid kit in the boat and noticed that the plastic box was cracked and the supplied aspirin , "sea sickness pills " etc. were expired . So i bought a new larger water proof plastic box and was looking for some ideas on what to put in it besides the usual bandages and so forth . One thing i am going to start carrying is a pair of wire cutter pliers that can cut the heaviest hook i use - just in case you never know . So i was just looking for some ideas , also are the pills above probably the same thing as dramamine ? Thanks

#4 ·
Welcome aboard Mark! There are really only 2 sea sick pills, Dramamine(dimenhydrinate) or Bonine(meclizine). There are lots of other names but most of them are one of the two I mentioned. Bandages, disinfectant and tape are staples in the Kit. Martin

#6 ·
NuSKin, comes in a small botle and available at wal mart. THis stuff is the $h%t. I sliced my finger open with a razor blade, unintentionally of course, for sure could have used a stitch or two, the nuskin workedlike a charm. It is a waterproof disinfctant too. WELCOME TO THE BOARD AND GOOD TOPIC FOR TEH FIRST POST.

#9 ·
Inflatable splints, injectable demerol (plus a box of syringes), nitro glycerin tablets (heart attack), eye wash kit. If you're going to be spending a bit of time way off-shore (and hours away from help), you might want to sit down with your doctor and go over a list of recommended items and demonstrate your understanding of the administration of some of the items mentioned. You may need a prescription for some of the items mentioned.

#10 ·
NuSkin is the chit,recently had a cut in the crease of a finger,
everyday work wouldn't let it heal,until NuSkin,and a couple
applications a day.
And for those with a sewing fettish,alcohol,both kinds,one for the
wound,and a shot for the one being stiched-up,and a shot for
yourself if you find all of the sudden you have shaky hands before
on deck stichery.

#11 ·
Welcome to the board. There have been several postings about this exact thing in the past. As for hook cutters, get a small set of bolt cutters for the large hooks. Believe it or not, an EMT recommended that having several Kotex in the kit was a very good thing to have. They are already wrapped in a sterile package and absorb a large amount of blood --- Use as a compression bandage. Everyone kinda laughed-- but he made a very good point. This guy is a PFF/EMT and has been at for many years. Do a search on the topic "First Aid". You'll likely get plenty of hits.

G
#22 ·
A cheap plastic bottle of vinegar. Its what you need in the summer time if anyone goes swimming. Neutralizes jellyfish and other stings. Nothing worse than a kid getting a jellyfish sting and not having anything to stop the burn. Actually, there is but who likes someone urinating on them...I'm serious about that remedy also.

#24 ·
A couple of SEAL Team buddies of mine are into field trial dog training. A couple of years ago we were hunting and I cut my self pretty good. They each pulled out a tube of EMT Gel and said it was the best thing to use. They applied it. It stopped the bleeding and sealed the wound. They use it on the dog's pad if they get cut because the pads bleed profusely and a dog can hemmorage and die even from a relatively small cut or puncture wound. When I got home I investigated it and even called the company to make sure I wasn't going to start growing a winter coat and barking at the moon. The woman said I "...should be okay..." LOL

Anyway, I found it at Bass Pro Shop and keep a tube in the house, truck, boat, and each tackle box. Maxi-pads and a small pair of bolt cutters are a must. Along with everything else mentioned, a bottle of eye wash solution is a good idea too.

#27 ·
First Aid Kit Contents

Besides all the normal items that you will get feedback on I will also recommend one of the Hook Removal Kits. It its mostly for smaller hooks but I think it would be beneficial. I had a hook in my finger when I was young. No picnic. I've read articles about this kit being very useful. It's something you hope you don't need but if you do I think it would be useful. Never have used it some can't attest to it's effectiveness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.