Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont get it. Im acually not very good at catching the cats? I find deep holes and fish them and dont get much, except 18lbers or less with only about 4 or less fish in 4-6 hrs.? Daytime hours

Anybody have tips on what type of river areas i should fish in? Not looking for any secrect spots of yalls. Just to know what to look for as far as depth, structure?, river characteristics, so i can find my own honey hole.

Any areas that you guys know about that isnt realy a secret that people catch cats in?

Ive fished in deep bottom-38'-, woodsons rock-41'-, downriver of the 295 south pillar-15'-, marker 135-28'- (on a hunch). Am i fishing in logical areas?

I will say that most of my trips these days have been on a out-going tide. Would that effect bite?

Thanks for any input guys!!! Help a buddy out!!![smile] Thanks-Jake

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just look for structure, whether it be rocks, humps, ledges, trees, wrecks, and dropoffs. If you have a good bottom machine you will see these and also you will mark fish, if you mark fish set up for them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The first thing you need is fresh bait, and a good depth finder. There is a good bite going on right now way up river, look for the fish on your finder and you will catch some nice fish. Also look in the 15 ft of water range. If you have any more questions send me an b-mail. Doug.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Try to bottle neck the fish, kind of like deer hunting in a way. Try shallow, such as a flat near the mouth of a creek in the late evening on an outgoing tide. I am talking less than 8 feet of water, these flats must not be too far from a good drop off. Don't try the Chickahominy! All fish are up the James near dutch gap. [grin] -Kepone

·
Registered
556 Posts
find structure, structure, structure, structure....did I mention structure?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
And remember that all the big fish come from Flowerdue creek down river to the Chick and in the Chick. Everyone puts Dutch Gap in the paper and internet so they get the glory but don't get the extra boats down their way.

Go East young man!

Dayton

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Go out with a guide, then there is no question about where to go and how to do it.

Alternatively, I will charge you half price and show you all the areas to not fish. Then you can determine where the fish are by deduction. I will also point out all the guide's boats so you can follow them on future trips.[wink]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Do the normal thing.

Get a buddy or two and hire a guide.
Give them a false name.
Tell them you are from out of town. PA is good.
Go fish and play dumb.
Return and do what they do and exactly where they were.

Problem solved.

Dayton

·
Registered
887 Posts
You boys fish up the river where the banks are lined with woods and fields. Where I fish there are marshes that drain into the river. It is a different ball game. The fish move differently and feed differently. Structure in the form of submerged timber and rocks is not as important on the Chickahominy as the mid to upper James. Studying current flow, sudden changes in depth, riffles, flats, creek channels etc. is important. The way fish hold and feed in one particular spot often changes when the tide turns and starts flowing the opposite way. So one spot may be good during a particular tide and that tide only. Spending time on the water is the key to learning where to fish. Unfortunately, most of us have a full plate and getting out there to fish as much as we would like to is tuff.

- Kepone

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went out with a giude!! TWICE!!! AND WE ONLY CAUGHT TWO FISH!!!!! 8LBS AND 32LBS!!![excited][excited].

·
Registered
628 Posts
Fresh bait #1

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing there are lots of ways to do it and plenty of spots to fish. Dont be afraid to fish shallow(3-6ft). Alot of jokes are made about the big fish being down river which is true but there are tons of good fish in the dutch gap area and up. Maybe not the 60s and 70s but plenty from 20-45.

Fish channel edges and deep holes and you should do fine. Start with visable structure then worry about the hard to find stuff. Sometimes the stuff is so obvious you kick yourself when you finally realize you have been passing a great spot every trip.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
That kind of thinking could win you a tournament tomorrow!

Except that I will be there.

So........................Watch Out. I'm Back Baby!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts