Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what new tackle people will be sportin on the beach this spring.

As for myself, I built two new Rainshadow 1418/2 rods and out fitted each with new 6500 CT Chrome Rockets. they should be just what the doctor ordered for stripers this spring.

I was also fortunate enough to find a 6500CS Mag Elite to compliment my 6500C3CT Mag so the hunt is on for the perfect blank for the Elite. Perhaps one of the legendary Allstar1265 blanks. [smile]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sea Hunter those are great reels; I have 2 and wouldn’t trade them. I am not sure which rainshadow blank you have or how it compares to the original breakaways. I have one of the original 1 piece / 2 piece (12 ½ ft) breakaways and when I put the sports rocket on it, I can almost dump the reel using 15 lb line. Accordingly, I have to use my sports rockets on shorter rods. Regardless, one break off and you will be respooling. Good luck with the set up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Seahunter, you are dead on as usual. 1265 is aces for that application mine throws as little as 3/4 oz. with a 5500 ct or cs probably tops out 2 1\2... 1266 is close I'm told. There is a purglas I also hear a lot about ...never handled anything lighter than a 400-4. Gotta be a similar lami....don't know any numbers. You must be loving that 1418 combo I keep blue yonders on mine.
Wes

·
Registered
22 Posts
My winter projects were building an All Star 1509 for myself and a Rainshadow 1264 for my dad. I put an abu 7500C3CT on the 1509 and it is a great set up, I have taken it to Sandy Point twice and caught fish on it both times. I have an All Star 1509, a 1418 and a 14' 1688 blank still to build hopefully I can get to one of those next week. Seahunter you will love the Rainshadow 1418, I have one built by breakaway with a 6500 C3CT mag elite that is awesome to cast and fish.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have 3 versions of the 1418 (RS, Cascade, Allstar) and I believe I actually like the Rainshadow blank the best. It is the lightest weight of the three and certainly the lightest action of the three. I would rate the RS the lighest followed by the Casacde and then the Allstar. The sweet spot on the RS is right around 4 oz plus bait.

I have a line on a 1265 blank so that may come to reality but I have to get these two trolling blanks done and out of here. Mama is on my case about having little graphite sticks laying about my office all the time.[grin]

lentz15, what the heck are you doing with a 1509 at Sandy Point?

I ended up selling the one I had a while back and bought a couple Lami 1502s as replacements and my shoulder has loved me ever since. It's nice to come home from a 3 day Drum Tournament and still have a functioning shoulder[smile]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used the 1509 at Sandy point because most of my tackle is currently in VA beach. I built the 1509 this winter and had a couple other rods up here that I was tuning up the reels on and wanted to have to cast to help tune the reels. The 1509 is not to bad of rod to use at Sandy point in my opinion it gets the distance and when the tide and wind are blowing it will hold bottom pretty well.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just givin some lip about the 1509. that things a beast
So how did irt fish? What you doin to your reels that they a need tunin up?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 1509 was nice, I just bought another blank to build a second one. It was the last All Star 1509 they had in stock. I thought it would be a beast but it was not so bad. I hear the new Rainshadow 1569 is a great blank and a lot lighter but I really do like throwing the 1509. I usually clean my reals and re oil the bearings every couple weeks, I tear them apart and degrease/ deoil everything and re lube at least once a year. I also upgraded the drag on the 7500 and installed ceremic bearings. All of my Abus have the Carbon fiber drag and Smoothie metal drag washers. With those upgrades I think those are the best surf reels out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts