Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my nylon chord to mono in an effoet tp make it easier to bring in and put out the clips. What pound line is good? Also which model of clips can handle the drag of a spreader bar? Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use "weed eater" line. Some is square and others are round. Use the round. Can even have two color, one for shore rigger and another for the long. 300 pound mono will also work, but I would recommend weed eater line. Good luck. Craige (Mary E)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
400 lb mono with Rupp Nockouts. Make sure and get a good snubber set up. If you are double rigging I prefer to run one line per snubber instead of the double pulley set up on one snubber. The best I have found so far is a pulley from West Marine run to a piece of nylon dock line that is "Chineese Handcuffed" into it's self to provide for adjustment. If you don;t want to go to that sort of trouble then buy a set of Halocks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
400lb Mono, 2.2 Crimps.

If you want it really nice, put a small Harkin sailing pulley were your line goes thru the rigger. It will be smooth as butter..

Change everything with fresh line/crimps at least once a yr.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I prefer seperate snubbers like Darren. The chinese Handcuff deals are pretty nice but if you have a center console with a T-top I move mine from up top to down on the gunnels when deploying and the easiest thing for me is just a piece of parachute cord on each glass ring (i prefer) and then I am able to spread them out a little bit as well as adjust the tension on the gunnel. I use 300 lb test Moi-Moi but buy those cheap foam floats at Wally World and use florescent orange on the longs and greens on the shorts.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I use the nylon cord and Black's release clips seem to work just fine plus they are cheap enough to kepp a spare set onboard at all times, personally I do not like mono.

·
Registered
53 Posts

Don't like mono either. We use parachute cord, black if I can find it. When using mono it slips through your fingers when you are in the firedrill and have slimey hands also when its nasty in rough conditions it slips as you are on the troll and needs to be locked down. Jerry.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
I rigged a set one time, we used a ball of twine, you can grip it like there's no tomorrow, and dirt cheap !~!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I could be wrong in my thinking but I believe that you want your rigger lines to be as tight as a guitar string. You want as little stretch as possible. When a fish hits, you want that clip to pop as fast as possible without stretching. Then the drag from the reel in the strike position sets the hook. If your rigger line stretches before popping, it gives the fish more time to decide something is wrong and spit the hook. I feel mono gives you that tightness. I agree completely that mono is more difficult to grip, particularly when you have any slim or even wet hands. It's all a grand experiment to see what works best so this season I'm giving the mono a shot.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Not only is the mono hard to grip but tension is the key however, simply being tight is not enough. I believe it is critical to be able to vary the tension on each individual halyard because different lures run differently under different tensions and different sea conditions. Nylon cord offers this ability simply by employing a swivel on the halyard.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Not only is the mono hard to grip but tension is the key however, simply being tight is not enough. I believe it is critical to be able to vary the tension on each individual halyard because different lures run differently under different tensions and different sea conditions. Nylon cord offers this ability simply by employing a swivel on the halyard.
I agree. I've been experimenting with an adjustable (short) bungee that I can make very tight, medium tight, or even loose if needed. (Home Depot) Working pretty well. I currently have them on a double half-lock but may later separate them because the tension on the short and long are always the same. I tried the swivel technique to adjust the tension and just could not make it work the way I wanted but probably just something I wasn't doing right. Good thread to see different points of views and techiques.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Try eliminating the bungee altogether by using a piece of 5/16" or 1/4" double braid with a 350 lb swivel to adjust tension and when switching between running and deployed positions. If your swivels were slipping you may have been using a slightly smaller diameter cord (the cord at Boater's World has two slightly different diameters) you can squeeze the swivel's eye a bit to achive the desired grip. Nylon also offers the ability to dye the individual halyard to any color you desire. I have each rod, rod holder and halyard color coded for those new to my boat.

Look closely at the halyards and rod butts!

·
Registered
459 Posts
400lb mono works perfect. I perfer it for fixed outriggers. I have never had a problem gripping it, I quess my hands are not soft and greasy:)) . Different colored lines work great when you are giving directions in the pit. I like the different color coded rod idea, except it for the looks of it. Rupp's Noc-outs on the longs and mediums. Blacks on the shorts. One thing I don't like about Blacks is they seem to break pretty easy, so keep a couple of extra's on hand. Can't go wrong with the Halocks either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have telescopic outriggers. If I use Mono, how do I adjust the tension? Will the swivel system I use on the nylon chord work with Mono? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yes it will work on mono.

Is the old hand cuff setup still on the board since the new change over. I tried finding it late fall and couldn't locate it ??

I've seen boats run the base pulley straight off the eye pad with a clip or snap swivel, no snubber, but with the slip rig. Then when running the bungee gets attached.

I'm too damn short and having the clips down at a low altitude (especially in rough conditions) makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I tried an experiment last year, I have removable, non-telescoping 18' Lee outriggers on my T-top. I setup one side with mono and one with nylon. The mono was a B*TCH to work with when removing or installing the riggers. It would twist too much and was almost impossible to get correct, especially in any kind of sea.
Mono is gone this year, using nylon-with-large swivel for adjustment worked great for attaching it to the gunnel, tension was easy. Mono may work for fixed riggers, but when you have to remove it, it was horrible.

My $.02

Patrick
Pat N Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do not use Mono or Nylon. Find some 1/8" braided dacron cord. It does not stretch like Nylon or Mono and holds up for years. I have had my boat for six years and I am still using the same halyards.

I am changing it this year to black on the Long and White on the short. I got the white at Boat Us and ordered the black online.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts