Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't recall ever seeing the water in the James as low as it's been the past few days.

edit: I know it's near a new moon but there must be something else going on

·
Registered
574 Posts
Link to Tide Level Data Reports

Below is a link to water and tide levels at various reporting stations. The charts show the predicted water levels, the actual levels, and the residual or the difference between the predicted levels and the actual observations. You just click on Virginia on the map and then select the reporting station of interest to you.
The combination of the winter lunar tides and the prevailing westerly winds combined to lower the water on the west side of the Bay. We had a similar experience about two weeks ago when the water level was 23 inches below the prediction for Windmill Point.

http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/geographic.html
:cool2:
Tom

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
460 Posts
Normal spring low along with the phase of the moon and about a week of west wind.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
As you have already learned, the Earth makes one complete turn every 24 hours. The side of the Earth that is facing the moon is where it is high tide. That is where the moon is pulling at the water. Since the Earth is spinning, the area that the moon is pulling at changes. That is why the tides change. If you are at the beach, and the moon is pulling on the ocean there, it will be high tide. If the moon is pulling at the ocean somewhere else, then it will be low tide at the beach where you are.

- IF YOU ARE ALWAYS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE EARTH IT WILL BE HIGH TIDE WHERE EVER YOU GO-

·
Registered
717 Posts
Some one explained to me that its a unique lunar event. the moon is at its closest point to the earth in a 6 year cycle, if you think its low now wait till the full moon!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Its gonna be so low i wont be able to launch today ................is it MAY yet ? wheres the TOWER ? whats a SPADEFISH ? topics will change soon and we wont have to wonder/worry about stripers,EEZ,gannets or mojos !! i vote for the 3 B's - beaches bikinis and boobies.......mine already has 3 new bikinis and its only Feb.......i been wearing the same one for 6 years......the tides is too LOW to go swimming ..... 6 am ....i think my coffee is spiked.....sorry for spoiling your post W>A> but its the only one worth reading today !!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I took a few pics of my beloved bar down at Lynnhaven inlet yesterday. It was half out of the water. :cool2: And it was two hours before low tide. :eek: I will post the pics when I get home.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I took a few pics of my beloved bar down at Lynnhaven inlet yesterday. It was half out of the water. :cool2: And it was two hours before low tide. :eek: I will post the pics when I get home.
Bubba's, Chick's or Dockside ??

I have been known to walk over that way.:D

Dennis:))

1 - 20 of 42 Posts