Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they biased against boxing or something? Since I don't always have 50 bucks to pay for the fights I get up early on the Sunday after to read the articles online and in the paper. Well it seems that the Post lets me down each and every time now. I got up @ 0530 and went to grab a paper, rushed home and didn't find even a mere mention of the Hopkins/Pavlik fight in the entire sports section. They covered everything from Pro football to High School track & field, but not one of the most intriguing fights of the year? I don't understand it. And what makes it worse is that the guy that was a 4 to 1 underdog won the fight hands down.

What gives?

-JB

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
My guess is the fight was over so late that they simply couldn't meet the the deadline. It was a fantastic fight with Hopkins proving why he's the greatest fighter of his generation. He made Pavlik look like a total amateur and made him pay for every mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, I guess I shoulda paid for it. I just assumed that the same old Bernard would show up for this fight, you know, the one that could have beat the hell out of any of his last five opponents but chose to lay back and do just enough to win or just enough to lose. The one time he puts the X back in executioner I decide not to buy the fight. :rolleyes:

-JB

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I watched it from an internet feed while watching the UFC n Spike. Hop looked amazing and used his incredible defense to make Pavlik open himself up to some of the best punching I've ever seen form the XMAN. Like you I just wished he would have opened up a little more against Taylor. I think he showed Taylor's power too much respect. Had he not been so afraid of catching a good shot form Taylor he would have knocked him out easy. Calzaghe on the other hand I think was the better fighter when they met.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Light Heavy I believe. You honestly don't know who Bernard Hopkins is? I'll give you a hint, he's the guy with twice as much talent as Oscar.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm befuddled. Whose Hopkins and or Pavlik ? What c weight class are we talking about ?
Bernard Hopkins is a Light Heavywieght 175lbs. Pavlik is a Middlewieght 160lbs. They fought at a catch wieght of 170lbs. Hopkins is a former middlewieght and ruled the division for about 10 years. Pavlik is a relatively new kid, but has knocked out a few folks he was 'supposed' to lose to.

-JB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts