Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When and where do the black drum appear in the lower bay. Is the CBBT area the best? I have never caught a nice size one. Looking for some pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Larry.:bigfish:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Black Drum

Black Drum will show in late april in the inlets on the Eastern shore, you can cacth them surf casting or from boats. Use sea clams, peeler crabs or hard crabs. They move into the bay in May and can be caught on the shoals, over mussel beds and along the edges of channels from CBBT to north of Cape Charles. Good luck when you go!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Two years ago I caught my first Black Drum at the 1st Island on Memorial Day weekend. I saw a group of boats working the rocks over the tube and thought they were casting for schoolie stripers.

I started casting a 6" storm shad (pearl) on 15lb tackle and hooked what I thought was a submarine! I managed to get the fish away from the rocks but about ten minutes into the fight the line broke.

I switched to 20lb tackle, tied on another storm, and proceeded to catch a 44" BD.

Once I know they are here in numbers, most of the time I just anchor up on the shoals and put out fish-finder rigs with fresh crab.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Black Drum II

As the water warms, late may early june, Blacks can be found around all four islands of the cbbt. They can be caught on a number of different jigs and bucktails, floating a piece of clam or peeler under a bobber near the rocks or on the flats beside each island. Have caught blacks in late june on flyrod with 20# tippet up to 92# at 1st island. In the fall you can catch yearling drum on wrecks at the mouth of the bay bottom fishing. I hope one of these methods will help you catch a big drum.:yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts