Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year Everyone.

In April I'm putting my boat (Arima Sea Pacer 17, 90hp Honda) in the water on the Bohemia.

Crabbing was great last year towards the end of the season.

When do crabs typically show up in the upper bay, say around the Sassafrass River?

I see people catch them in May as far south as Pt. Lookout. I'm curious as to when the make their way to my neck of the woods.

Thanks in advance

Bill

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Normally about 65 degrees but everyone should wait until it hits about 75. I'll let you know when it's worth coming out. :hysterical:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input. Looking forward to warm days, cold beers and catching some crabs. Just wondering what's the earliest i could expect to catch something. Looks like I'll have to wait until July (or motor way south).

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Thank you all for the input. Looking forward to warm days, cold beers and catching some crabs. Just wondering what's the earliest i could expect to catch something. Looks like I'll have to wait until July (or motor way south).
The further South you go the better off you will be early in the season. Your question states when do they show up in the upper bay. The question really is, when is it enough to justify a crabbing trip. The weather dictates that but I'm sure there will be reports on here of folks that try early. Don't wait until Jim Rockfish tells you to go though.doh Stay tuned............Gary

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I understand. Thanks. I wouldn't mind a 1-2 hr cruise south for a day of crabbing at all. Hell, half the fun is just being on the water all day.
I'll stay tuned for sure.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I plan to stay overnight down South to chase the early crabs. I am eligible to stay at Pax River Naval Air Station but they charge almost as much as the hotels down there - $54 per night. I might get a truck-tent this year because although a cap works fine, I use the bed of my truck for hauling gravel and other materials. I guess I could split a hotel room with someone like Gary as long as they have double beds. Otherwise, I'll have to sleep with one eye open. :wink44:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
I plan to stay overnight down South to chase the early crabs. I am eligible to stay at Pax River Naval Air Station but they charge almost as much as the hotels down there - $54 per night. I might get a truck-tent this year because although a cap works fine, I use the bed of my truck for hauling gravel and other materials. I guess I could split a hotel room with someone like Gary as long as they have double beds. Otherwise, I'll have to sleep with one eye open. :wink44:
Not ME:eek2: I heard crabs showed up in your roomdancedance:hysterical:........Gary

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
There are no crabs in the bay. It is dead. Definitley no crabs in the Eastern Bay complex.
Gas will be too expensive for most to crab this year. Stay home, be safe, kiss your wife and kids and get ready for the Apocolyps!

Have a nice day and Happy New Year!

CU at SF!

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
There are no crabs in the bay. It is dead. Definitley no crabs in the Eastern Bay complex.
Gas will be too expensive for most to crab this year. Stay home, be safe, kiss your wife and kids and get ready for the Apocolyps!

Have a nice day and Happy New Year!

CU at SF!
:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::jacked22::jacked22::ban::ban::hammer::eek:fftopic:...........Gary

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
It is coming and God is pissed at us!

Honey, Please pick me up another bottle of Crown. Please, Dear.

Hey, Ya gotta laugh in life right?

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
It is coming and God is pissed at us!

Honey, Please pick me up another bottle of Crown. Please, Dear.

Hey, Ya gotta laugh in life right?
I'd love to be a fly on your wall:yes: Have a great night. You do know it is night time rightdancedance..............Gary

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just to say I did it I trailered to Fishing Bay and caught my first crabs on 4/30/10. Brought home about two dozen. Costly trip but worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Burch - Have you ever used "apocoLIPS" for bait? Where exactly can they be purchased? .........( can anyone tell it's mid-winter and withdraw has clearly set in?)

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Apocalypse! A very bad thing. The fly on the wall just told me so. He also mentioned something about a guy named Obama and ruining everything in a great land. Something like that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think there called OBAMAlips very rare & the only thing allowed this 2011 season for crab bait. If he don't do something about the climbing gas prices , the crabs we catch will cost us about $100 a dozen just to go out & catch them . What is a Crabber going to do .
He is a wosey & won't be done untill he gives this Country away

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I bet gas will be $4/gal come Memorial Day.
It will be cheaper to buy crabs vs catching them yourself.

I fear for my boys and their ability to sustain themselves in the future. More and more families are having to consolidate their living into a household under one roof.

Oh god, Ill never get rid of them.

And gas will be too expensive for me to go anywhere to escape.

I am going to go talk to the fly on the wall again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts