Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out because I dont want to be chasing boards down. Has anyone found that the .090 weed wacker line degrades over time? Has anyone had it snap (besides in really really rough water) Just wondering if it is like mono and we should replace it every other season or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
When/If you decide to replace it; try to pick up the ROUND weedwacker line and not the dimond cut line. The lures slide out to your boards just a little easier. Round is a bit harder to find because it doesn't cut weeds as well. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Another tip...

We started using the caribiner clips with nylon strap and key ring from Home Depot. You put your clip/rubberband on the key ring side and the caribiner on your planer line. The larger diameter of the caribiner slides down the line much easier than the shower curtain hooks. The come in multiple bright colors so they are also much easier to see (old eyes). They only cost $1.00 each and are well worth it.

Chuck

·
Registered
826 Posts
I replaced mine every year because of UV rays. But ended up switching to Braided board line . The braid will last 3-4 years no problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What type and/or size of braid are you using. I am pretty happy with the bright orange weedwacker line from Home Depot but I am always looking for something better.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The line is made exclusively for planer boards. I have seen it in 150 and 300 lb test and it is orange, bass pro and cabelas. I highly recommend the line.

·
Registered
988 Posts
.95 Round line for me.... Changed out every year. Not sure about that darcon line. I think thats made for the little side planers.... I would think rough on the fingers pulling in a set of triples:eek2:

Shawn F

·
Registered
826 Posts
Shawn I run a set of big triples with the dacron line without any problems. But I use planer reels on the roof and its not a problem when you handle the line along side of the boat.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Be careful using dacron or braid.

The weedwacker cord is really just cheap thick mono- about 600 lb test.It has some stretch and give to it - which acts like a shock absorber.

I replace mine each year- a spool of 200 or 280 feet is about $7.00 dollars.If it were to break at the end of a good day-I could be out 20 clips at $1.30 each :eek:.

Be sure to use a spool to wind the line on- wrapping the cord around the boards causes kinks/weak spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts