Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the season opens in mid April, but how soon are the stripers moving up to the spawning grounds? What water temp? Anxious to start trolling with this nice weather this coming week. Thanks for your help, greg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Some look for a certain water temperature to begin trolling (52ish with no science or wisdom it just sounds right so I will say it like I know something). Right now it is appearent to me the resident fish are always here as found in the nets the past months. The migrant fish should be moving up from the south soon, or maybe they are now but without reports it is difficult to tell.

For me the next open day of work and weather(warm) I will get out to run the spread(yes 6) and enjoy the hopes of catching something. Too bad gas prices will dictate the frequency this spring. Anyway good luck if you get out and let us all know how it goes as everyone is quite ready to begin our passionate hunt for the next big fish.

Greg
'Compromise'

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Most years - by now I've caught Rockfish by trolling.

Work ( knock on wood ) has kept me too busy to try.

FWIW: I've found the early fish seem to come in waves. You'll find one area holding some - then a piece of barren water until the next wave.

As the season approaches - the waves seem to get bigger and there is less barren water.

Right now - it pays to run a zig zag along the channel into 30 feet - watching the meter for bait or fish.

Sometimes Gannets will be in the area - wise to keep an eye on them.

Going to be interesting how far down the muddy water from Conowingo goes. Best to fish in clear water - if you can.

PSCR is a lot of fun , few boats to dodge and plenty of room to troll.

·
Registered
605 Posts
They are already moving up the rivers of the lower/mid section of the bay.
Good to hear, Ive heard the same from some Virginia Anglers as well!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I drive the BB everyday....water doesn't look good! Plus seen some large debri, inlcuding several pillings and a very large tank (fuel/propane?) and numerous other junk floating around. High, and dirty....be watchful/careful if you go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts