Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my yak P-13 rigged and ready to go but the water seems to still be cold here in Central Va. I would like to hit the water but im not that experienced and wanted to see if i could get some suggestions from the experts. If all else fails ill have to wait till the water warms up.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
I wear dry top and waders when water temps are under 60 degrees. When water temps are in the 60's, I'll wear a short sleave mysterioso top and quick dry pants. Mysterioso gear provides some cold water protection. I always wear a pfd.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've been out about every weekend since it got cold and I usually wear long johns and jeans, thermal shirt ,long sleeves, and a fleece top and hat. sometimes I wear a pfd and sometimes I dont ,but thats just me.I hit every lake and river I can, because when the water warms I head east flatties!!!

DARREN

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got my yak a little over a year ago...i cut my teeth at the CBBT with 40 degree water...fear of cold water taught me good balance..lol (i have yet to turtle...knock on rotomolded plastic)[grin]

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought my P13 in November... i've been out twice on a wide creek near my house. I usually pick a nice day, water temps have stayed around 42-45 there all winter... both trips were 50-75deg... so I was very comfortable in t-shirt, jeans, waders, and a PFD. I had a sweater in the crate just incase it got chilly, and an extra sweater and a change of clothes in the dry bag just incase I get wet.

If you are itchin' to get out, find yourself a large lake or creek in the area. If you want someone to paddle with i'll be paddling West Neck Creek or Lynnhaven River this Friday. There is a decent launch by Pepboys on Virginia Beach Blvd. It's a small floating dock and very easy to launch from. The water is calm, and there is plenty of scenery. Give me a shout if you want to meet up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey, that launch is in my backyard - almost. I live on Wolfsnare Creek and paddle past it on windy weekend mornings when I'm out for a stroll. I've seen lots of bait and other guys fishing a little farther down creek. Always worth a try. It would be good place for an initial kayak outing. I'd recommend Rudee, though, real calm, real small, very little current, good fishing, no wake zone... Good luck.

Ric

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey, that launch is in my backyard - almost. I live on Wolfsnare Creek and paddle past it on windy weekend mornings when I'm out for a stroll. I've seen lots of bait and other guys fishing a little farther down creek. Always worth a try. It would be good place for an initial kayak outing. I'd recommend Rudee, though, real calm, real small, very little current, good fishing, no wake zone... Waders, PFD, and a rain top should keep you toasty. Good luck.

Ric

·
Registered
40 Posts
I caught a few spot there last year... in the past i've caught small specks but I think the water is just a little too silty and dirty that far up the creek now. The fishing is very tide dependent also. I've heard many of stories about big trout, puppy drum, and even stripers up in those creeks... i've also seen a few large fish in very shallow water from a friends boat, but this was alot closer to Lynnhaven River. If you guys are interested in fishing the area this summer i'll let you know... I plan on fishing those waters alot for trout. Lesner Bridge is about a 5-mile paddle from that dock btw... could be a fun trip if I can get my girl to shuttle me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've done that paddle to Lesner. First time I took out my first kayak - a Hobie Outback - I peddled from my house to Lesner. Current kicked up and I couldn't get back. I got stranded for 2 hours on the little island across from Bubbas - like Gilligan. Once the current slacked a little, it took every bit of leg I had left to peddle across the the creek to the launch. My wife and daughter had to come rescue me. Wonderful. Now, I make the paddle to Lesner and back home (in an OK 15) on windy mornings when I can't get out fishing. Work the tides and take your time, you'd be surprised what you can accomplish. Drum season is coming and it's 4 miles to the shoals - never too early to start training.

Ric

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Midlothian Va. so i will be mainly fishing the upper James for smallmouth and when it warms up i will heading to the eastern shore for some flatties.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts