Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Wow that's a wide open question. I used to fish Barnegat Bay and in and around Barnegat Inlet and did alright on blues. Also, fished Raritan Bay and did alright and also in Delaware Bay out of Cape May.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Any hump or lump on the 10&20 fathom lines will hold blues from late May till July. Even later if the water stays cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fishing from the beach or boat? Bait, lures or flies? Blues are all over the place in the spring, summer and fall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
caught a bluefish with a cigar. yes thats right, on a bet i stuck my (LIT) cigar on a 7/0 gamakatsu hook and dripped bunker blood on it and wham! the minute it hit the water. anywhere in the spring/ summer is good for bluefish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I want to fish the Raritan more this spring and summer. I only did it once last year and felt undersized in my boat. So I bought a slightly bigger boat that is more for saltwater fishing. I went out of Keyport. I am new to saltwater fishing so I can't answer any questions but I will post reports when I go.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Where can you not catch them. When they arrive sometime in May, until they leave usually Nov, but depends on temp, they are a nuisance for everyone from surf to offshore. They sure are fun on light tackle though. Give a holler in May, I'll put you in touch with guys up there in the know.

Lou

·
Registered
157 Posts
Skeller or anyone else, I fish out of Shark River in Belmar NJ and this will be my second year doing so. I am in the Air Force and was stationed in MD for 10 years and did very good in the Chesapeake Bay, but last year here was hit or miss with miss being in the majority so my fishing pride is pretty low.

I would like to suggest an idea that worked very good in Maryland. I had a buddy who I shared fishing trips with. One trip we would go on my boat and the next was on his. If the trip was on my boat I incurred all expenses and vise-versa. It was like paying for one trip but you get two. But of course there would always be good food shared[grin].

This would be a good way to meet new friends and have some fishing fun, so if you want to do some trip swapping let me know.

Fred

·
Registered
89 Posts
the guy who said something like "where can you not catch them?" i think is right on target.

i grew up in monmouth county about 2 miles from the ocean.

when we were kids, we used to catch snapper blues all summer and into the fall, just casting from the jetties. and bigger blues especially in september and october, right in the surf.

i live in va now, but i go back to nj quite often, especially in the summertime.

starting around may, and lasting until october, you can slay the blues at the shrewsbury rocks, near monmouth beach/sandy hook. it's not great every day, but that's a good area to find them consistently. (boat fishing)

i worked on a charter boat for 6 months in 1994, and we fished for blues from june through september. it was a rare trip that
produced a shutout. (now that i think about it, i don't think we had any shutouts - usually, it was TONS of blues!) we fished from belmar north to sandy hook, mostly ...

this past summer, i think it was august, i was out at the "mud hole" on my brother's boat with our dad, and we were into them (and the daggone dogfish!) shortly after setting up our chum slick.

the mud hole seems to be a consistent producer over the summer, although it's a good 15 or so miles offshore, depending on where you fish.

so, long story short, i think you can find blues anywhere off the jersey coast, i guess read your local paper (the asbury park press has good fishing reports every friday!) or eavesdrop your boat radio for what the charter captains are saying, but i can pretty much guarantee you'll catch some blues off the jersey coast!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fish the Delaware Bay,if it wasn't for the abundance of bluefish (which must be most common thing caught in the bay)Half the head boats there would go out of business.Just look for the birds or go on da hook and throw down a chum slick an wait they will be there soon.As far as a particuler spot,...well blues can be found all most any day at Cold springs inlet at Cape May.[wink]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts