Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally went out on Thursday @ 6:30 (low tide was 6:30) and hardly a spot could be found on the South River. I caught Three crabs in two hours and went back home.

Catching three crabs after all that work :censored:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Curious you said hardly a spot could be found. Was that due to the number of crabbers in the area? Once again curious how much gear we you using and how long did you crab? We got 46 mixed there several days ago 30 traps and 1200' line took 6 hours lot of work and 16 dollars in tolls along with a $20 launch fee.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
"Fishing pressure on an unhealthy fishery is just one of the things.* Environment plays a big part.* Predation is a big part too…..
The environment here on the lower ESVA is pretty stable. But the grass beds have been gone for years. I'm 60 miles from the mouth of the Bay.* The tide flushes the Pocomoke Sound with fresh ocean water every day.* But when a big storm like Sandy rolls thought the muck gets stirred up and coats everything in killer mud.* Not just the grasses.* The oyster rocks too.
Rec crabbing basically doesn't happen here.* There are less commercial crabbers every year.* But I have to say that commercial crabbing plays a big part on my catch.* *When crabbing is bad and the big commercial operators are across the Bay, I do Ok.* Then when things start to get worth their time and 2 or 3 of them drop a couple thousand pots on me my catch goes to [Sam Hill].

So where are the crabs?* It's a very long thread…..* Back a couple decades ago commercial guys switched to the Seaside as soon as the sharks started to arrive.* They fished them for the fins. $$$ The shark population crashed.* When that happened the sharks main food source took off.* The Cow Nosed Rays.* I watch them every day vacuuming everything from the bottom.

The summer before Sandy Red Puppy drum were everywhere.* You could "not" catch them down here.* The next year crabbing took a hit.* The drum disappeared from the lower bay the following year.* After Sandy.* That one storm totally destroyed my oysters.
I don't think crabbing has any chance of being fixed……. I'm not going to mention the name but someone that's is in the know told me off the record, "We don't know what to* do". " sic: Bluecrab forum

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
They should be here soon!......any minute now a plane will land will crabs from Louisiana or TX or maybe a truck will drive up from NC

Sad.....as a child I grew up on Thomas Point....summers were spent crabbing and fishing and keeping my golden retriever out of my live box....one morning my mother screamed outta the kitchen window...." What the hell are you doing?" I said I was cutting up bull noses!...."why" she asked......I said because they were out of bull lips! That's when I would ride my bike to Ricky's meat market in downtown and I caught almost as many fish in the crab traps as crabs...more recs, more demand, more effiecient comms, more house, more pollution, just more of everything.....except crabs and fish and stabilized soil

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Everyone who bought a license to crab should be asking the people who manage the resources of the Bay this question. According to the scientists monitoring the crabs, don't worry, be happy, SMH. I guess these last 10 years showing a downward catch report meant nothing. Recs have been seeing it for years, those in charge, not sure what they've been seeing, LOL.

For those selling, not really that big of a concern, they adjust their prices accordingly. Because they re helping people who eat crabs and do not have a way to catch them, SMH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts