Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ! last few years I've been croaker fishing in the Bay Bridge area with great success and have enjoyed it greatly , finally pulled the trigger and bought a boat this year to go fishing and haven't had much luck with croakers this year , any logical explanations? Thanks in advance !!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's been really slow this season in the Bay Bridge area for croakers. Like Night Nurse was eluding to, it's been on fire from Solomons to Point Lookout recently for croakers. Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could get my boat to other locations, but due to town house living and having no truck i ended up docking it at Queen Anne Marina so the bay Bridge are is pretty much my only option..lol hope the croakers comes back soon . Good luck and be safe everyone !!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Croakers are a cyclical species that come and go in the bay and are affected by many variables probably the most important being salinity levels and winter temps. We are at the northern most area of their migration. They were plentiful in the Bay when I was a youngster, in the fifties and sixties. All but dissapeard in the 70s and 80s and made a huge comeback in the 90s. In my opinion their numbers have been steadily decreasing in the last five to ten years. I fish almost exclusively in the Mid Bay Lower Potomac region and what I am seeing, decreasing catch rates and no big croakers, is concerning. Areas that held huge numbers of them are all but barren of croakers. It seems to get worse every year. Not a good sign.
"on fire" isn't what I have seen in quite a while.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Croakers are a cyclical species that come and go in the bay and are affected by many variables probably the most important being salinity levels and winter temps. We are at the northern most area of their migration. They were plentiful in the Bay when I was a youngster, in the fifties and sixties. All but dissapeard in the 70s and 80s and made a huge comeback in the 90s. In my opinion their numbers have been steadily decreasing in the last five to ten years. I fish almost exclusively in the Mid Bay Lower Potomac region and what I am seeing, decreasing catch rates and no big croakers, is concerning. Areas that held huge numbers of them are all but barren of croakers. It seems to get worse every year. Not a good sign. "on fire" isn't what I have seen in quite a while.
Form another "oldster" my feelings exactly!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was down in Cape Charles Va last week at the public launch and watched boats off loading croaker commercially into dump trucks. Thats the problem

·
Registered
239 Posts
We caught one about 12" long last Friday a mile south of the BB. Bloodworm. Got mostly spot and Perch except for the one croaker.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys !

- - - Updated - - -

I caught maybe a total of 15 croakers so far this year on probably over 10 trips , very slow ...

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If I were in your spot I would head to Eastern Bay and try drifting bait near Claiborne in about 15 ft. Of water. This has been a good spot for croakers over the years. I have not tried them this year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were in your spot I would head to Eastern Bay and try drifting bait near Claiborne in about 15 ft. Of water. This has been a good spot for croakers over the years. I have not tried them this year.
Thanks ! I dont have a gps or fish finder so some are these locations are gonna have to be googled ...lol

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Croakers are a cyclical species that come and go in the bay and are affected by many variables probably the most important being salinity levels and winter temps. We are at the northern most area of their migration. They were plentiful in the Bay when I was a youngster, in the fifties and sixties. All but dissapeard in the 70s and 80s and made a huge comeback in the 90s. In my opinion their numbers have been steadily decreasing in the last five to ten years. I fish almost exclusively in the Mid Bay Lower Potomac region and what I am seeing, decreasing catch rates and no big croakers, is concerning. Areas that held huge numbers of them are all but barren of croakers. It seems to get worse every year. Not a good sign.
"on fire" isn't what I have seen in quite a while.
You are rite on the money.another old fart

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Thanks ! I dont have a gps or fish finder so some are these locations are gonna have to be googled ...lol
Ok here's something that might help. I haven't been over there this year but if you go to Poplar Island on the inside you should see crab pot floats. Fish in the area if the floats, not near them as some are on a sort of trot line affair and not all pots have floats. They should be in about 15 ft of water. If you have no luck there move up Eastern Bay on the south side toward Claiborne. Just pick a random spot and drop a line over and guesstimate how deep the water is. To deep head toward the shore and repeat the process until you find the depth you want. It will only take a few minutes to do this. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok here's something that might help. I haven't been over there this year but if you go to Poplar Island on the inside you should see crab pot floats. Fish in the area if the floats, not near them as some are on a sort of trot line affair and not all pots have floats. They should be in about 15 ft of water. If you have no luck there move up Eastern Bay on the south side toward Claiborne. Just pick a random spot and drop a line over and guesstimate how deep the water is. To deep head toward the shore and repeat the process until you find the depth you want. It will only take a few minutes to do this. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks you so much ! I will def try that next time , already screen cap this on my phone !!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
913 Posts
We caught some nice ones at Solomons, yesterday, at dusk, in about 35' of water, about 300' from the Navy marina.

In my experience, day time croaker fishing peaks in June. The fish become more nocturnal as the summer progresses. Some move out of the Bay in late July and move into the back bays along the Atlantic coast in August. They can usually be caught near the Rt. 90 bridge in OC in August. One year, we went down to Oyster, VA in August. The back bay was full of croaker.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We caught some nice ones at Solomons, yesterday, at dusk, in about 35' of water, about 300' from the Navy marina.

In my experience, day time croaker fishing peaks in June. The fish become more nocturnal as the summer progresses. Some move out of the Bay in late July and move into the back bays along the Atlantic coast in August. They can usually be caught near the Rt. 90 bridge in OC in August. One year, we went down to Oyster, VA in August. The back bay was full of croaker.
Yes ..Ive been reading that they are hot down in southern Md but up near the Bay Bridge there art any , hope it gets better soon . Thanks for the report !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts