Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:52:
I've gone through three towel's soaking up the spit off of my mouth and chin (from drooling) waiting for the offshore reports. I couldn't go today so I am living vicariously through you all that went today. I NEED A FIX! :eek2: :52: :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Charters from OI slayed them. Listened to some radio chatter while flying over this morning on 79 and it sounded slow for the va guys....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The fish are there but they were few and far between. Many boats singing the blues(skunk). We got 2 YFT but nothing to brag about(20-30#). Looked great from the forecast(wrong choppy all day), the break looked like 10 degree but it was more like 3-4 degrees, and the fish were not easy to get like most dreamed of when we saw the SST shot. You didnt miss out on too much. Still beter then work:D Martin

·
Registered
919 Posts
I STILL haven't caught put a tuna in my (first) boat. We went out of OI before sun-up and went to the Tuna Hole and The Point where everybody else was. Heard alot of people say they "boxed 2" or "landed 5" YFT. Also heard people releasing undersized YFT.

We trolled for hours and didn't get one hit exept for a wahoo (I think) bit through our drone spoon leader. Sux.

We didn't get skunked though. We stopped by the south tower and immediately picked up 3 big AJ's (one was citation) and an albacore on jigs.

Later we bottom fished and got our limit (released alot more) of some nice tilefish. Bait would barely hit the bottom before we sometimes had two at a time. Ranged from 2-12 lb.
FUN reeling up at 300 ft.

Oh well....maybe next time we'll get YFT.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Oh yeah. Like the other guy said above, the weather forecast was not correct.

By the way, the best way to maneuver through OI is in a hovercraft. It was SHALLOW.

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Change Tactics

The fish are there and the water conditions were the same on Saturday as they were Friday. The fish wouldn't come up to the surface to feed because of the boat traffic, I think that was the most outboards I've seen out of OI in a looooooong time. So we dropped jigs down to 15fathoms and caught our limit of YFT's :thumbup:. I'm sure Bill will post a report today.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So we dropped jigs down to 15fathoms and caught our limit of YFT's :thumbup:.
Nice!!! I've been looking at the jiggin outfits for the next rod/reel combo I'm adding to my collection... Light tackle jiggin for tuna sounds like a blast... Putting the bait where the marks were sounds like it paid off... I wonder if anyone tried chunkin them up??? Had a feeling there would be ridiculous pressure on the fish with the forecast and reports from friday... Hoping the weather continues to cooperate for awhile...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good point. We just couldn't keep those smaller ones though. They all swam away (down); none left the boat with full bladders. Do I at least get some credit for using circle hooks?

Fun fish. These fish fight pretty hard. They loved the squid. They LOVED the ballyhoo bites (which stayed on the hooks better).

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Good point. We just couldn't keep those smaller ones though. They all swam away (down); none left the boat with full bladders. Do I at least get some credit for using circle hooks?
Nope. what's ethical and what's legal are often times not the same. If you are going to drop in 300 ft of water then you should keep what ever you crank in as long as it is legal. Basically you killed a 1 or 2 lb fish to get a 5 or 6 lb fish. Was it really worth it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nope. what's ethical and what's legal are often times not the same. If you are going to drop in 300 ft of water then you should keep what ever you crank in as long as it is legal. Basically you killed a 1 or 2 lb fish to get a 5 or 6 lb fish. Was it really worth it?
Wow..What a dickhead....

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
OK Bob, hope name calling makes you feel better, seems pretty juvenile to me. So here's a question for you. Who would you be calling the dick head if we were talking about oh lets say gut hooked yellow fins or maybe stripers?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:jackthread: Wow! First time I've been jacked!! :jacked22:
Guys, take it off line. If you really want to be a hero, start a new thread with your gripe. :nono:

Thanks for the reports guys.:beergood:

·
Registered
363 Posts
OK Bob, hope name calling makes you feel better, seems pretty juvenile to me. So here's a question for you. Who would you be calling the dick head if we were talking about oh lets say gut hooked yellow fins or maybe stripers?
You right Darren...sorry...bad day yesterday spilled into today...

Bill,

Here's a report for ya from yesterday...

Got to the Owls Creek ramp at 0430....crank the Starboard engine...Crank the Port engine (whoops no go on that engine)....send one of my buddies to get jumpers and get the port engine going.....Underway at 0515..hate leaving late...

make it to the break at the 150 line 100 fathoms ...commence to miss about 5 or 6 good fish....pulled off what was probably a big bluefin off the planer....and commenced to catch a bunch of False Albacore.....Not a good day fishing with Rubber hooks...

Few boats had a pretty good day but not the all out bite we expected with that beautiful Eddy our there...

Little sporty to start but layed down nicely in the afternoon....

Now it's off to Rhode Island for 2 more weeks of travel/work.....

....Again...sorry about the dickhead comment.....bob

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You were right, I was being a dick head Bob. But that kind of stuff really irks me. And Kayak, no offense but I do hope you look at this catch and release a little differently.

Billy, sorry about high jacking the thread so I guess I owe you a report, even though it isn't exactly an offshore report. We made the run to the Triangles from Owl's Creek yesterday morning. As Bob said, it was pretty sporty early on but by 11 it was laid out pretty slick. We had the east side all to ourselves for about an hour before the fleet showed up. Bluefish were in as thick as I have ever seen them. You could catch them any way you wanted, jig, troll or bait them. They were also as fat as I have seen them, no skinny ones in the bunch. We caught around 20 with all three of us taking release citations on 38 inches. We also boxed a few to weigh just in case. Then we went hopping around the Triangle and scatched out a limit of sea bass. No one spot was hot, and the size went from little willy up to citation size. Back at the dock we weighed in the bluefishand Sean had the largest going 20 lbs 8 oz and I was right on his heels with a 20lb 4 oz. Mike had the baby of the bunch at 19 lbs and some change.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hey Darren. I already said you made a good point. (Then again, so did Bob.) Actually we caught our 15 tilefish. The 3 more we caught were smaller and, at the time, it seemed like a good idea to just shake 'em off the hook and let 'em scurry on back down. Honestly, I've never deep dropped that deep and, although I knew about the bladder thing, I didn't really think it would phase 'em since they were kicking so hard. We didn't leave any that didn't look like they had any life left in them. Anyway, you made a good point Darren.

However, I understand the limit on Grouper is "1". (I'm not sure of this). Hypothetically, what if I caught "2"? I would be required to release the second one, right? Hopefully, if I ever catch 2 (don't worry, with my luck I'll probably never catch 1), will that second one make it back down? Do you have to keep everything you catch when deepdropping

So, I wouldn't be so hard on people are are out having a good time and trying posting a semi-useful report. I'm a sensitive guy. Anyway, maybe I learned a lesson. I thought I was environmentally conscious already, following all the rules, but I guess I should tighten up.

Interestingly, and if anybody is interested, this is my first time deep-dropping. I thought it was pretty cool that we blindly dropped our hooks at 300 ft and caught fish the very first time. It is hard for me to believe that I, the unluckiest tunafisherman in the world, would have lucked up and found a "school" of tilefish. Was that the case or are those little buggers everywhere? Next time, I'm going tunafishing for tilefish.:))

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
kayak, most of the guys doing the grouper thing are using single hook rigs. the usual deal is you catch one, your done, let the others in the group catch theirs and move on to the next species. as far as venting them, popping the stomach isnt venting, it just makes them so they dont float.

decompression sickness(what they'd call it in people who come up from very deep, very quick) is when tiny gas bubbles form in the blood stream and get lodged in tissue and jionts(best case) or in/on the brain(worst case) both are extremly painfu and are often fatal. only known way to counter act the effects of DC is a ride in a deco chamber, and even after that you stiff aint right.

Darren, call me, I deep sixed my phone at work, need to get your number again.

Danny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts