Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We tried again this weekend for LT action around the Rapp. Found nothing but C&R striper. Most fish caught were under but one decent 22" fish. This fish was tight under a dilapidated pier in 3' of water. The spot should start showing soon around the mooring buoy and other usual places on the river soon too. Water temps in the river are near 82 degrees.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Semper, I have been catching Spot in Little Bay since at least 4th of July weekend. I keep hearing folks say they don't exist, but I keep pulling them up. I pulled one up on Sunday that was the biggest I've seen in three years. I was shocked. I guy fishing next to me thought it was a Croaker ... I think because he was not used to seeing such a decent Spot. I was fishing right off Cedar Beach just beyond the ledge drop off. That Spot was mighty tasty a few hours later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Semper,

Little Bay is at the mouth of Antipoison creek in the southern most end of the Northern Neck. We are on the north side of Windmill Point. There is a weekend beach where many sailboats come in to moor over the weekend. It is deep and protected water. There is a beach, called Cedar Beach, only accessible via the water. There are great ledges off the beach. It drops quickly to 20 feet of water ... which is why the sailboats moor there for the weekend. Fish off the ledge. Most of the guys fishing the ledge this past weekend were dragging up Croaker off a jig. They had blues the previous weekend.

If you head out to the last channel marker, the ledge goes from a couple of feet of water to 30 ft very quickly. Another great location to fish. We scored on a tournament winning Spaniard right there.

I've only been fishing this because both my boats are out of commission ... so I'm fishing on a paddle board. With the boats running, I would typically fish in the Rapp for Spot on top of the oyster reefs. They have never failed me in over 30 years fishing for Spot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Curious how you caught the spaniard? I have caught so many using the normal methods but I can't seem to come up with any big ones. I was thinking about trying to drift live bait for them actually.

I am very familiar with the area. I have seen little bay get packed so full of schoolie stripers. One day I beached my boat and caught (and released) at least 20 fish from cedar beach. Should have brought a beach chair but it was november.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dell,

The Spaniard we caught that day was a "miracle catch" documented here by the Rappahannock Record: hhttp://www.rrecord.com/-news/2012/8-23-12/news1a.asp ... I had to eventually swim the fish to the weigh station at the Chesapeake Boat Basin for it to count. No kidding, the boat was stranded, and fish had to brought in by water. The weigh master transferred my boat designation of "#6" to a bucket I pushed in front of me, where I queued in between the 25 other boats still waiting to weigh in.

We were dragging a Clark spoon behind a floating birdie in the afternoon on the surface. You can expect Macks to come and feed in these areas in the afternoon ... at most of the creek mouths. Having said all that, I have also had non-miracle catches of Macks coming out the creek in the morning, passing Cedar Island, just pulling a Clark Spoon behind a #1 or #2 planer.

My biggest Mack catches have all been along the northern edge of Windmill Point from the mouth of Antiipoison to the mouth of the Rapp .. probably more a result of the convenience to us coming out of Little Bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts